Casting in colder weather: Advice needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tt1106

Good one of you fine, experienced, casting pen gurus, give me some insight on how the colder weather might affect my casting? My Garage is about 60ish.
I am casting PR (From Hobby Lobby).
Thanks much. And Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

I use Silmar41 so YMMV, but for me, the colder air slows down the curing time considerably. What I have done to make up for it is use heat. I heat the resin using an ultrasonic cleaner, then, if I need pressure, I put it under pressure for 15-30 minutes. Finally, I put it into the toaster oven for 1 hour at 150 degrees. To be honest, I generally skip the pressure unless I absolutely need it.

PTownSubbie

You can do as Chris says and preheat the resin. This makes it much closer to the cure point prior to catalyzation.

Then create a hot box. All you need is a cardboard box that will fit your mold and a 60watt light bulb. This will aid in curing after your pour.

Just be careful that the bulb doesn't make the cardboard too hot to cause a possible fire. I watched mine until I was comfortable that no bad things would happen. I recommend if you make a hot box, you do the same!

If you need pictures, search hot box on IAP and see if you can find photos. That's what I did....

bitshird

Here is something to consider, The longer the resin remains below the exothermic trigger point, (the temperature it will start to cure) the more time you have for bubbles to evaporate,. Unfortunately if the resin gets to viscous, (thick) that too will slow down the bubbles coming to the surface, 60 degrees is a bit too cool, but put in your catylist, DON"T use too much mix it at that temperature, SLOWLEY try 3 or 4 drops per OZ with castin craft in a 3/4 inch mold, let it sit at about 70 degres then warm it slowly, maybe the Ultrasionic perhaps just a warm water/t toaster oven set at around 125. DO NOT over heat, it makes them brittle and they want to shatter

soligen

For a quick easy hot box, here is what I do.

I one of those utility lights - the kind that is just a spring clamp and an aluminium reflector - with an incadescent bulb. I put this into a plastic cooler with a few bricks for liners to prevent any metal part of the light from touching plastic.

I use a cooler with a really crappy lid that doesn't seal so over-heating hasn't been an issue - even with a good cooler the cord should prevent a seal. Monitor with a cooking thermometer first few times to be sure you are not over heating. You can change bulb wattage to adjust.

I would not recomend a styrofoam cooler.

Last edited:

tim self

If you are using Resin Savers, you must be careful with heating after the pour. The air inside the tube will expand and excape causing large bubbles. One other option. After preheating and mixing, place inside a plastic container and put a air tight lid on it and bring it indoors. It'll bring it to room temp and cure normally.

SDB777

If you are using Resin Savers, you must be careful with heating after the pour. The air inside the tube will expand and excape causing large bubbles. One other option. After preheating and mixing, place inside a plastic container and put a air tight lid on it and bring it indoors. It'll bring it to room temp and cure normally.

I may not be the OP here, but I have a Cat Little box(the one from the store that has a 'clickable' lid).....guess what I'm doing after I hit submit?!?!?

Thanks for the tip! And I don't even own a cat!!!!

Scott (anything to not have the smell in the house) B

Top Bottom