Casting in cold temps a pressure pot and the smell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

So living in Minnesota, casting has currently come to a halt in zero to below zero temps. I cast in my breezeway. The walls need to be reconstructed and insulated. It's truly a BREEZEway right now with all the leaks. I can get it to 60 degrees on some days when the temps rise into the high 20s with my propane heater. The workshop is getting a 30k btu propane heater in it. I really don't want to be leaving a heater going all night to keep a room at 60 degrees or so.

I have a pressure pot that I need to modify for casting under pressure.

My thought and questions are this....

If I can pour in a 60 degree room with warmed up PR, can I drop the castings into the pressure pot, bring it into my basement that can get to 70 degrees and pressurize it. Then when cured over night under pressure, bing it back out to the workshop to release the pressure and remove the castings? My assumption is that once the curing PR is in a pressurized pot, there will be no fumes as they aren't escaping out of the pot and the pot is in a warm area for the PR to cure.

Am I flawed in my thought process?

sschering

Another option is building a hot box..
Just a box insulated with 1 or 2" sheet foam and a light bulb inside to generate heat.

PTownSubbie

So living in Minnesota, casting has currently come to a halt in zero to below zero temps. I cast in my breezeway. The walls need to be reconstructed and insulated. It's truly a BREEZEway right now with all the leaks. I can get it to 60 degrees on some days when the temps rise into the high 20s with my propane heater. The workshop is getting a 30k btu propane heater in it. I really don't want to be leaving a heater going all night to keep a room at 60 degrees or so.

I have a pressure pot that I need to modify for casting under pressure.

My thought and questions are this....

If I can pour in a 60 degree room with warmed up PR, can I drop the castings into the pressure pot, bring it into my basement that can get to 70 degrees and pressurize it. Then when cured over night under pressure, bing it back out to the workshop to release the pressure and remove the castings? My assumption is that once the curing PR is in a pressurized pot, there will be no fumes as they aren't escaping out of the pot and the pot is in a warm area for the PR to cure.

Am I flawed in my thought process?

No problem! I do it all the time. The only difference is I pressurize it in the shop before I bring it in the house and place it by the register to cure.

The only thing you have to be careful of is keep an eye on the pressure as it will rise with the rise in temperature. I have seen the pressure go up by as much as 10-15# so don't push the limits until you know how yours will react.

Top Bottom