Casting Coal Dust?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

My father is a an amateur blacksmith. I am toying with the idea of getting some polyresin and casting a blank with coal dust mixed in. I figure I can use PVC pipe for a form. Do I really need a pressure pot or will something like a sander or another vibrating tool do enough to get any air out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David M

crokett

I really like that Jr Statesman. Is that clear resin with a colored tube or colored resin with the coal dust added? If I do this I will do a couple blanks with different amounts of coal added. I think I will also need a colored tube.

David M

Both is in clear, I paint the inside the blank and tube. I use silver paint, it gives it a contrast to the coal. The coal is crushed into small flakes , not into dust.

trapper

Well thanks to David for passing that information. I think I now know why a blank I tried failed. I was casting with a metal powder mix (copper and brass) and added in some copper and brass and aluminium swarf....... yep in sank tho' I guess it's taught me patience and I'll retry.
As for a vibrating table I'm currently trying to mke one up using an orbital sander set on a stand made of plywood with an (a4) size plate screwed to the flat foam backed pad just seemed like an idea; no idea if that will work any thoughts guys?

Top Bottom