Casting with car/model paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
First I would like to apologize if this has been asked before, but I have not been able to find the answer using the search.

We have a family friend that is completing a restoration of their 1970 Dodge Challenger and for Christmas we want to create a Gearshift pen with the blank matching the color of the car. The car is going to be an old Dodge color called "Panther Pink".

This leads me to my questions.
  • Would it be better to use the car paint from PPG or a bottle of model paint from Testors?
  • Should I paint the tube and clear resin around it, or can I mix the paint into the resin?
  • Can I just leave the resin out in the open to cure or do I need to put under heat/pressure?

Thanks Everyone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I have heard that you can make a blank right out of the actual car paint. I would think you could pour it into a mold and let it harden for however long it takes then turn the pen out of that. Best way to get a color match. If you go that route let us know how it turns out. I might just start raiding the local body shop for their near empty cans of paint.

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site Troy

To answer some of your questions may take a bit more info but will give it a try with what you posted. These are my opinions.

As far as mixing paint and resin. yes and no. Depends on the type resin you are using??? If you are trying to make a colored blank then you need to mix resin with a colorant of some sort. People use mica powders, dyes made for resin and at times powder coating powders, and some paints.

I suggest that you do your own experiment. Without knowing if you are using a casting resin, a surface resin, or aluminite it will be hard to make the call. Take the resin and mix your car paint(again this is a variable because without know what the car paint ingredients are. Are you using original car paint or today's modern paints) in the resin before adding the catalyst. It would be better if you heated the resin somewhat which would help in the bubble dispersing. Stir the paint in the resin. Then add the catalyst. Again we do not know what resin you are using but adding 5 to 6 drops should get you there. Mix thoroughly. Let set and watch that the bubbles come to the top. Let sit for at least 24 hours but maybe longer.

Again this is experimenting and all it would cost you is a messed up blank. Sorry for not be able to give more direct answers.

mikedealer

u could take the paint, spread on sheet and let it dry. peel up chips. grind up to powder. mix into resin..

not sure how well it would work but just an idea.

I am not sure what resin I will be using. As this will be my first casting, I am open to option as to what the best resin would be.

The paint will be new. I will try to get my hands on a pint of it and start experimenting.

healeydays

Your best bet is trial and error. Some of my most interesting colored blanks come from experimentation. My wife asked me to make her a pen using a color of nail polish so I used that as my colorant and it came out spot on. So I started raiding discount stores for different color nail polishes. What I have found is some cure perfectly and some don't.

So my suggestion to you is try it and if it doesn't work, try something else. You might come up with something great...

Mike B

turncrazy43

Your least expensive resin to try would be polyester resin (selmar 41) try Woodnwhimsies.com. I have found their price for that resin is very reasonable. They also sell pearlex powders at a reasonable price as well. Good Luck.

Top Bottom