Cast Tobacco?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stoneman

Hi there casters. Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted to cast pipe tobacco in PR? I would be interested in a couple cigar pen blanks if it were feasible. Any takers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Steve,
Not knowing much about pipe tobacco I don't see why not as long as it is reasonably dry. I don't know any pipe smokers to steal some from or I'd give it a try for you. I can imagine it would be kind of dark and monotone. Though it would have an interesting smell while turning.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Pipe tobacco has a range of browns to blacks...especially if you smoke aromatics; cavendish is a bit darker...any drugstore-brand tobacco like Amphora would be fine for casting; no sense using the good stuff to encase in resin!

Any pipe tobacco you're likely to find is going to be rather moist, so it'll have to be dried out...

Andrew

Skye

I wouldn't pack it down in resin.

Paint the tubes brown with something like appliance paint, then cover with CA, then roll it around in the tobacco.

I've got some in my closet that's probably 5 years old. It's in a container, but I imagine it's still dried out.

M

Mudder

I've attempted it and did not have much luck. I made 3 attempts and then moved on to something else. The one that I successfully cast started to pull out of the PR while I was cutting it. Like I said though, I did not go too far into it so others might have better luck than I did.

You guys are right that it needs to be REAL DRY. I put mine in a food dehydrator for about 3 days.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Did you cast it under pressure, Scott?

I would think it would be prone to voids.

(Still can make a pen, just more work)

SteveH

Just a thought, Why not a real cigar, they come in various lengths and ring sizes, so just get a size a little smaller than the kit, cast and turn away most of the acrylic...?

Of course, here in Washington I can buy a nice pen blank for the cost (with tax) of even a cheap cigar

Just an idea

Skye

Problem with a real cigar is you'd have to stabilize it first just to get the tube into it properly. That would be a LOT of stabilizing.

M

Mudder

Did you cast it under pressure, Scott?

I would think it would be prone to voids.

(Still can make a pen, just more work)

No, When I experimented there was no talk of casting under pressure. I would suspect that casting under pressure would be better than what I was doing. I would also suspect that if you mixed the poly resin, mixed in the tobacco, and then packed it into the molds and cast under pressure you just might get some nice results.

Just a thought, Why not a real cigar, they come in various lengths and ring sizes, so just get a size a little smaller than the kit, cast and turn away most of the acrylic...?

Of course, here in Washington I can buy a nice pen blank for the cost (with tax) of even a cheap cigar

Just an idea

I don't cast, but here awhile back had the same brain storm.. why not make a cigar pen from a real cigar... you could maybe leave the band on the cigar or incorporate it somehow as the center band?? Fortunately, I got over it.:biggrin:

Grim Spirit

I'm somewhat of a cigar afficiando, and just getting into turning.

If anyone successfully casts a cigar and turns it, I'd be interested in hearing their methodds. Especially if you can incorporate the cigar band.

I've got a couple ideas how it can be accomplished. I'll let you know the results after some initial experimentation.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm somewhat of a cigar afficiando, and just getting into turning.

If anyone successfully casts a cigar and turns it, I'd be interested in hearing their methodds. Especially if you can incorporate the cigar band.

I've got a couple ideas how it can be accomplished. I'll let you know the results after some initial experimentation.

I can save you the headache.
I've cast tobacco, cigars, bands and all.

Let me tell you, that smoke is harsh.

Gary Max

They grow a bunch of tobacco here in KY----how about just using the whole leaf.
I have never done this--- but it will work.

We could do some trading----toss Riley a extra mikebone for me.

Last edited:

Gary Max

Here's what real Tobacco looks like after it's dried.
Cut the dry leaves up and you are ready to cast them.

Attachments

• cig1.jpg
    cig1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 179
  • cig2.jpg
    cig2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 179

stoneman

Hey Gary,
That might just be worth a try. Somehow my mental picture was of a deeper amber or walnut color from seeing some cigar and pipe tabaccos. Maybe when set in PR the material would darken a little? Maybe not. Either way, I'd be willing to buy (or swap for) a couple sets big enough for cigar pens if you were interested and you can cast them in clear resin (like a shredded money blank).

bruce119

This subject came a wile ago also. Here is a photo of a Gentleman's pen I did a wile ago. I did it for a friend who asked if I could fashion a pen for a cigar. It took me several weeks and several failures. The process I used is basically wrapping a real tobacco leaf around the tube and casting it like a snake skin. There were several challenges the leaves are wet and resiney. I had many failures due to I believe moisture something you can't have. The problem a dry leaf is going to crumble.

The process I used to get it to work even than it was shaky at best about 60% success rate. First color or blacken the tube I used CA to wrap pieces of the leaf around the tube then I had to use a sealer before casting. I used a sealer that they use on fishing rods like thread master. It's basically a thinned white glue let it dry real well than cast. I think the sealer is the key it seals the leaf so the moisture is sealed in and the sealer also keeps the resin from soaking in giving the leaf a wet and dry look. I used polyester resin.

CigarPen1a.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

bkersten

Bruce,
Where did you get your sealer for the tobacco that you mentioned here. I've been going to cast some and knew it would take something to prevent PR soaking, but did not know what to use. Bob

bruce119

I reverted back to my fishing rod building days. I thought of it as wrapping threads on a fishing pole. To keep them bright and not get that wet look you need a sealer or color preserver. There are a few such as thread master. A good source of information is http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2 this is a fishing rod building forum. All the suppliers are listed on the left. You can read through there threads & library a lot of techniques can be used in pen making. You can pick up a few ideas there also.

Bruce

Top Bottom