Cast-Right Kickstarter campaign

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Really John? Embedded objects in Alumilite with no air bubbles? I did not think it would work. I guess I need to try it at some point.

Although it takes me about 10 minutes to pour all of the tubes full on one plate of casting. Not sure if there is enough time to do that with alumilite. ;)

Ron I am pretty sure he is using pressure thus the shape of the stand. The time factor is what would concern me the most. I can not work that fast.:)

Lol, I don't fill the rack with alumilite. I usually keep it around 8 half tubes or 6 less or 4-6 full sized blanks. I pour a lot of Sierra sized alumilite blanks. Also, Embedded like pine cones and pods but definitely under pressure. I don't use alumilite with brass tube casting but I'm planning on using it on my next watch part blanks. The last summary pour melted and distorted the images on my watch faces over the long period of time it took to set.

let us know how the watch part blanks come out using Alumilite. Also when you say it melted the face of the watch, what resin were you using, what mixture did you use and did you put it in a toaster oven to cure?? Also what was the face made of?? Was it a paper dial covering a thin piece of metal or something else?? I have yet to do a watch part pen but will be soon so I am taking notes. thanks.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I've made watch part blanks with silmar 41 but this one was a movie themed watch with an image on the dial, I bought off eBay. I sprayed the face with a clear coat and secured it to a carbon fiber background. Spent about three days preparing it and after the silmar 41 cured the face was all white and the image had bleed and broke down in the resin. All that was left was white paper on the metal dial. I think it just sat in resin heat too long so I thought I would try alumilite, a quicker setting heat. I'm guessing the faces were cheaply made but I have a few friends that really like the theme so I'll continue to try. Lol

Skie_M

I've made watch part blanks with silmar 41 but this one was a movie themed watch with an image on the dial, I bought off eBay. I sprayed the face with a clear coat and secured it to a carbon fiber background. Spent about three days preparing it and after the silmar 41 cured the face was all white and the image had bleed and broke down in the resin. All that was left was white paper on the metal dial. I think it just sat in resin heat too long so I thought I would try alumilite, a quicker setting heat. I'm guessing the faces were cheaply made but I have a few friends that really like the theme so I'll continue to try. Lol

Does alumilite play well with CA? You could try coating the watch dial face with a thin layer of CA and then buff it, and then attach it to the barrel after cleanup ... see if the cured CA helps the watch face stand up to the alumilite.

jttheclockman

Does alumilite play well with CA? You could try coating the watch dial face with a thin layer of CA and then buff it, and then attach it to the barrel after cleanup ... see if the cured CA helps the watch face stand up to the alumilite.

The big problem with dials like that are they are paper glued to a thin piece of metal. Some of these are just printed photos and could be lazer jet printing.(does not play well with casting) They need to be coated as a decal would. But they also need to be sealed around the dial or the resin could get under the photo and lift it. I do not use alumilite so have no way of knowing this but I would try epoxy and stick with the Silmar.

Lots of white spot problems with CA and alumilite

Read here.

www.penturners.org/forum/f43/best-way-stick-watch-parts-barrel-142852/index2.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom