Cast a couple blanks today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeels

So I cast a couple blanks today. I've been using PVC pipe that I snag from work so I can use as little alumilite as possible. The first couple I did I was makin 3/4" blanks for slimlines... WAY too much waste. So today I made up one that was 1/2" for a slimline am then a 3/4" for a cigar. When the wife gets home I'll make two more lol. Wanted to make 4 this am but didn't wanna mess with set time for mixing the other blanks. I use pearl ex pigments and did a green/purple duo for the slimline blank and the did a black and orange swirl for the cigar blank. Plan is to do a brightish purple cigar and a black and salmon pink slimline blank when she gets home. Pics will be up soon, little too excited about gettin back in the game to wait to post lol. But they'll be out of the pot in about 30 mins. Wish me luck lol.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeels

There they are. Green/purple duo. Pretty sure the purple is the flake or the pearl? Looks kinda blueish but the last time I did this color it turned out green and when the light hit it it went green with purple. The other is the black and orange. I ain't quite it the swirl thing down but it doesn't look too bad and I'm sure it looks better in the center. This one will be the first I turn though. I think the salmon and black I'm gonna do later I'll just put the black on one side and the salmon on the other and see what happens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 265

Skeels

Purple cigar blank and the salmon pink and black swirl slimline. The pink and black turned out pretty decent looking and I did just pour them side by side. Kinda hard to twist and move the cups and hit the same 1/2" hole lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 202

DLGunn

Those look great! How do you get the casting out of the PVC?

I have only done a few blanks in PVC, but the way I do it is by coating the inside with Stoner mold release from Alumilite. The blanks came out pretty easy for me.

I was told that after using the same PVC 4-5 times the blanks may not come out as well. Not sure why that is.

BSea

I have only done a few blanks in PVC, but the way I do it is by coating the inside with Stoner mold release from Alumilite. The blanks came out pretty easy for me.

I was told that after using the same PVC 4-5 times the blanks may not come out as well. Not sure why that is.
I wonder if you heard that from me or Scott. If so, we were talking about PR, not alumilite. I've used PVC only a couple of times with Alumilite, and that was awhile back. And I didn't use the Stoner release back then. And it wasn't easy to get them out.

BTW Skeels, nice looking blanks. I like the orange & black along with the pink & black.

Skeels

Thanks for the comments guys. Kinda in a cast craze righ now lol. Just did a few more yesterday, pics to come.

Skeels

Hammer and a punch my man... Hammer and a punch. Well and 3/8 key stock lol. I don't use any mold releas either. Too cheap, if it doesn't come out... Oh well, it'll turn off lol. I hit it with the punch till I can't hot the punch anymore then stuck in a piece of 3/8 key stock I had layin around and hit it the rest of he way. I've been asked this a few times now... Is it time for my first tutorial!? Lol

Top Bottom