Carbon Fiber How-To

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theidlemind

Okay, carbon fiber is cool and we've seen a lot of neat carbon fiber, fiberglass, and kevlar pens lately.
I've cast a few and figured I would give a quick primer on how I do it.
Not necessarily the right way but it works for me.

Safety First....:doctor: Wear a mask when cutting these fibers.
Cut them when the sun light is shining through your shop window and you will see uncountable fiber dust in the air.
You do not want this in your lungs.

The fun part.
I was asked to put some carbon on some tubes and cast them.
No idea what the tubes are for, doesn't matter......
IMG_0249.JPG
Paint your tubes.
Paint your tubes.
You might not need too, but you won't find out until after you cast them.
Paint your tubes.
I scuff them with sandpaper first,
IMG_0250.JPG

and then hang them on my high end painting jig.
IMG_0251.JPG

Spray them,
IMG_0252.JPG

then let them dry.
IMG_0253.JPG

I buy my fiber from Soller Composites. I have found that 1/2" sleeve is the only size I need.
IMG_0262.JPG

It will fit anything from a Slim to a Majestic.
They have lots of other neat things like Kevlar, Colored Fiberglass, Fiberglass/Carbon blends
and are very good people to give your money to.
The stuff comes in a roll and is like a Chinese handcuff.
Pull on it and it won't turn loose, push on it and it will bunch up and release.

Remember to wear your mask when you cut it.

And don't use your wife's scissors.

So, notice the fuzzy ends? I don't know how to prevent that so I cut mine long so that I have a nice, tight wrap on my finished blank.
You will trim the ends after you glue them to the tube.

I always test fit mine before mixing my clear epoxy. Don't want to glue it and find you have fuzzies on your tube.
IMG_0263.JPG
Got gloves? I HIGHLY recommend gloves at this point.

You will use quite a bit of epoxy on this step, it needs to dry CRYSTAL CLEAR.
I buy mine from this guy.
Mix it up, roll your tube in it so it has a fairly thick coat all over it (hopefully wearing gloves.....)
IMG_0265.JPG
Push your fiber tube so that it expands in diameter and shortens in length, slide your tube in (no comments now, I'm concentrating),
then pull the fiber tight.

You should see epoxy squeeze out of the fiber.

Take your fingers and slick this down so that you have a smooth coat on it.
It doesn't need to completely coat it but you want it smooth with no air bubbles.

If you use less epoxy, that's okay too, the resin will finish the job.

You just want to make sure the fiber is fastened to the blank, resin has a way of shrinking and pulling the things you cast.

Right now is a good time to decorate your tubes with watch parts or coins if you want.

Set aside to dry.

When they are dry you can take your scissors and trim the fuzzy ends of the fiber.

You are still wearing your mask?

I trim the fiber to within about 3/16" or 3 or so millimeters, whichever you use.....
I usually take the epoxy all the way to the end to try to prevent fuzzy ends,

That makes it harder to trim but less stuff floating in the air.

Now you just cast them.
IMG_0266.JPG
I have used Resin Savers, they save resin.
My favorite molds are from Fred and I call them "Money Saver" molds.
I call them "Money Savers" because one mold will fit A BUNCH of different tubes.

The big molds pictured have cast everything from Slims to Long Clickers to Zens.
And the small mold pictured is the executive mold and I have no idea what tubes I just cast in it, Shock Absorber pen maybe??
Anyhow, I use Silmar Polyester Resin and use all the standard casting techniques.
IMG_0267.JPG
  • heated resin
  • pour slowly from one end
  • vibrating table
  • work the bubbles out
  • sometimes a pressure pot
Next day pop them out of the molds,
IMG_0268.JPG
turn, polish and assemble.....
bp003b.jpg
So that's all there is to it. I lost a bunch of material learning to do this,
maybe this will make the learning curve easier for someone.
Hopefully.

I've gained a LOT of knowledge on this site, maybe I've given a little back.
Let me know how your carbon casting goes.
And definitely let me know if you have an easier/better way

:peace: david

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I could almost do this, but I don't have any scissors other then the wife's:biggrin:

Actually, the printer is now tossing paper onto the floor! I have wanted to do this for sometime now, but didn't want to learn the hard way(waste a bunch of cash and tearing stuff up in frustrastion)

I'm going to check a few things and order some more stuff!

Thank you!

Scott (that is awesomenessness) B

SDB777

Question for you....I contacted "your guy"(awesome guy by-the-way) and he sent email stating that his epoxy has a 'tint' to it, but you are stating it dries clear. Do you happen to have a close-up of just a tube that has epoxy that is dry?

Got a few feet(okay, yards and yards) of carbon fiber in different colors and I am 'biting at the bit' to get started, but don't want to get the wrong epoxy and ruin a bunch of great looking fiber.

Also, thanks for the how-to....seems this is the only place on the 'net I can find this. Very cool!

Scott

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Question for you....I contacted "your guy"(awesome guy by-the-way) and he sent email stating that his epoxy has a 'tint' to it, but you are stating it dries clear. Do you happen to have a close-up of just a tube that has epoxy that is dry?...
In my personal opinion the epoxy dries with a slight yellow or amber color, not crystal clear. Since I have not made and carbon fiber blanks yet, it may not show in the final product.

Sylvanite

...epoxy has a 'tint' to it, but you are stating it dries clear. ... I am 'biting at the bit' to get started, but don't want to get the wrong epoxy and ruin a bunch of great looking fiber.
Since the carbon fiber is for looks rather than for strength, you don't have to use West 105 (or similar) epoxy. You can get good results with Silmar 41, Alumilite Clear, or even just built up CA glue - all of which are clear.

Regards,
Eric

theidlemind

I have never noticed any color in the epoxy from Monty, never shows up on the fiber anyway. I have also gotten epoxy from the hardware store that dries clear. Automotive section at the big box store also has clear.

Yards and yards is a good way to start, it never goes as far as you think.

Sounds like we will see some results posted soon?

Paint your tubes the color of your fiber, post pictures, play safe.......

toyotaman

Excellent tutorial. Thanks for posting. Now I need to re-read it a few times to figure it all out. This needs to go to the library so we can find it later.

jd99

Rough Draft

I created a rough draft in word (Just coppied everything), if someone wants to go ahead and make it better its attached.

Maybe turn it into a pdf for the library.

Attachments

• Carbon Fiber instructions..doc
    1.5 MB · Views: 303

theidlemind

jd99 said:
I created a rough draft in word (Just coppied everything), if someone wants to go ahead and make it better its attached.

Maybe turn it into a pdf for the library.

Thank you!
I've intending to get that done for a while, just never enough time in a day.

I'm glad there has been so much interest in it.

SDB777

Would you happen to have a photo of what you use to hold the tube while your 'pushing' the material together to get it to expand over the tube? Cause the only thing mind my can come up with is something really sticky being attached to me:eek:

Also, would it be easier to get one of those 10" tubes from a vendor, and apply the carbon fiber sleeve to the entire length, let it cure(the epoxy), and then slice into required lengths? Or does this result in damaged fiber?

Your thoughts?

Scott

theidlemind

Would you happen to have a photo of what you use to hold the tube while your 'pushing' the material together to get it to expand over the tube? Cause the only thing mind my can come up with is something really sticky being attached to me:eek:

Also, would it be easier to get one of those 10" tubes from a vendor, and apply the carbon fiber sleeve to the entire length, let it cure(the epoxy), and then slice into required lengths? Or does this result in damaged fiber?

Your thoughts?
Scott

While you are bunching the fiber up to slip it over the tube there is no glue on it so no worries about it sticking to you. Then when you pull it tight over the glued tube and the glue squeezes out you will get glue on your gloves but you have about 5 minutes before you are glued to the tube. No hurry, not like ca.
I have super glued a pine cone to myself, I share your fear.

I think casting a 10 inch stick would be a challenge, I have cast 5 inch sticks in the money save molds and cut them to length. Mostly 7mm stuff where the length isn't as critical. Some of the fussier pens would require very careful measuring to make sure you got the right length. I cut a little long and sneak up on the right length.

SDB777

Gotcha. Got plenty of those gloves....my 'real job'-I pick up lab specs(blood, pooh, whatever) and I have boxes of them things.

Thanks, appreciate your time and sharing!

Scott

Sylvanite

The recommended way to form a fiber sleeve over a mold (or long tube), is to expand the sleeve and slip it over the piece dry. Then fold one end of the sleeve over itself to expose about half the tube. Apply epoxy and then roll the sleeve out. Smooth it down as you go. Then repeat the process for the other half. For normal carbon fiber layup, you'd remove excess resin using a vacuum-bag or shrink-tube, but that's not an issue for penmaking.

Another option for pen blanks is to slip the sleeve over the tube dry, pull it snug, and glue it in place from the outside by saturating it in thin CA glue. That worked just fine for me. I used regular tubes and cut/sanded the ends flush, but I don't forsee any problem using a long tube and cutting it after the glue has cured. If I were at all worried, I'd cut a little long, cast, and then face the ends down to the desired length.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom