Can you use a rotisserie oven?.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Hey guys and gals. I'm in the market for a toaster oven for drying wood and curing wood/blanks. I was just going to get a cheap $30 blank and decker from Amazon. With 20% off $23.00 total. Anyways my grandmother is getting rid of a rotisserie oven that's much bigger that the toaster oven. I've never seen or heard of drying/curing with rotisserie oven. You guys think it would work? I've never used one of these ovens before. Let me know what you think!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Just a quick glance online. While I sure you could use the rotisserie function for some things, I noticed most of these are convection. My completely unqualified opinion is that it would be worth it for the fam to circulate the heat during drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Loucurr

Always worth a try but also toaster ovens are a dime a dozen on Craig's list and yard sales for cheap.

tomtedesco

Bought my first one at Goodwill for 10 dollars, it lasted about two months. Walmart had a brand new one for 15 dollars, seems to work fine, and its clean inside not like the first one.

I have used the following

FWW. In the past when I've received some special wood that I wanted to dry and make pens from I used a food dehydrator.

Don't recall brand name. It was round with stackable trays. Designed to dry fruit and vegetables. Worked very well for that and drying pen blanks.

It was beige colored and round, many stackable trays. Maybe 12-14" diameter. Bought it from a source found in Organic Gardening Magazine. Very low amount of heat. Almost 100% success with wood not warping and cracking.

Usually accomplished the job in a matter of a couple of days. I believe the only heat source dehydrator has is from the fan motor. Very pleased with the outcome.

Woodchipper

Thanks, Charles. We have a dehydrator. Good idea. The air circulating moves the moisture away from the blank or food in the dehydrator. There is no heat generated in a dehydrator. FWIW, in a conventional oven, there is a layer of moisture that hangs over the food like a cloud. The cloud prevents any additional moisture from escaping the food, thus taking longer to bake. The circulating air moves the "cloud" and allows more moisture to escape. I worked in the lab and model shop of a major commercial appliance manufacturer. Worked on a project for a convection deck (pizza) oven. Baked brown-and-serve rolls in half the normal time; same with cakes and pies.

Last edited:

jxdubbs

I as well have a dehydrator. Haven't got the chance to use it yet but still part of my tools

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom