Can this be saved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I bought a mother of pearl. As you can see the barrel shattered then I turned it.

1. What I need to known Can this lower blank be re-casted
2. If re-casted will you be able to see the lines of the new cast verses the old casting

thanks

Attachments

• photo motherofpearl.jpg
    photo motherofpearl.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
It's going to depend on a couple things Bill...original casting material and if the coloring can be matched.

Mike8850

While not mother of pearl I did recast a circuit board blank.
What I did was turn the part that still on the blank as thin as I could. I then gently pealed the rest off and then recast. Turned out fine.
Mike

preacherman

I have never turned any of these particular blanks. However, I have had a "steampunk" blank, the foil type cast in poly resin, shatter on me a while back. What I did was place the broken blank into a small jar of acetone and let it dissolve the poly resin. Then I cleaned it up repainted and re cast in PR. I do not know what effect , in any, acetone would have on the mother of pearl.

Kenny Durrant

My opinion is that if you tried to patch it you would see some lines. You might ask the people you bought it from and ask if it's P.R. or alumalite. I use P.R. and when that happens to me I soak it in acetone to clean it up then recast. I also use Elmers to glue the parts to the tube and acetone doesn't hurt the glue. If they used C.A. then you might have to reglue the pieces to the tube. It also looks like it shattered all the way across the blank. If it's just an end I have turned and squared the bad spot and segmented it with something that complemented the cast. Quite a bit of work goes into casting so I always do anything I can to save them.

rblakemore

I would like to commend you on the quality of this blowout:)??
I have blownout on the drillpress, lathe, even a buffer/polisher; wood, trustone, and inlace (the worst!!); but, I have never had a blowout of this caliber.:biggrin::biggrin:

I am not casting my own blanks, so unfortunately, I cannot help; but, say, best of luck with your repair.

Top Bottom