Can I make my own silicone molds?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just recently purchased some Silmar 41 resin that I intend to use for casting in-tube blanks. I'm interested in making my own silicone molds to start off with (I don't want to purchase any yet). Does anyone have any suggesting as to how I would go about making my own silicone molds? Is there a way to use something else besides making my own silicone molds for casting in-tube blanks?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

You don't have to make silicone molds. I've seen molds that use vertical pvc pipe. You just need a way to keep the tube centered as you pour the resin.

19030550_10209699558351701_338394781580317096_n.jpg

I'm working on making my own molds and the biggest issue is the cost of the silicone. Its heavy stuff and for the smallest amount S&H can be expensive.

I just bought the small kit from Micheals with a 50% off coupon and I think I found a local art shop that has Smooth On products.

I've also tried using silicone caulk with various mix ins to get it to set quickly and it a mess. It maybe helpful for somethings but again its a huge mess.

Not experience, just what I have read and seen.

i have looked into this myself. Mind you, I have never done it. I think I saw this on Utube. It is a material similar to a plastic cutting board and if I remember it is $8 a square ft. I went back and looked and it is called Melamine. It is a particle board product with a white coating on it used to make cabinets. It is of course rigid and they recommend using a product called Stoners mold release. In the video the guy used white glue on 3 sides of the vertical walls to prevent leaks and used screws on the last side to help to get the casting out. I hope at some point to try this and this seems the cheapest way. You will be able to configure the mold to fit your pressure pot or needs and you can make single blanks or a slab and cut on a table saw. I have also read about using PVC pipe. Mostly I read that this Stoners mold release will save a lot of headaches. When I get ready to try this I think I will try this method. Much cheaper than silicone. I hope this helps a bit. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Boswell

casting in tube blanks

I guess I missed that in my original answer. I have no clue about that. I am sure it can be done but I don't see how it can be done without a lot of difficulty.
Seems to be it would be easier to cast your blanks using what I said before and then drill and glue your blanks before you turn them. I don't know, maybe you are more advanced than I am.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
the Library has a couple of tutorials on making your own molds. Here is one using a tube of silicone caulk. http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/Making_a_Silicone_Mold.pdf
It takes quite a while to dry. With Silmar 41 you can use regular pvc water pipe from any hardware store. It doesnt even need a release agent. You can also use the white plastic cutting board material to make boxes to pour in. Some just buy the clear plastic tubing and leave it in place and turn it off when they make a pen.

Thank you all for the answers. When I wrote that post, I was looking for something that I could cast in tube moldings in. I just bought one because I didn't see a good way to make my own usable one.

Top Bottom