"Camo" pattern castings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

I've been asked about making military themed pens and whether I can get "camo" blanks. Of course, without even thinking, "Where the heck can I buy those?" I immediately said yes.

So, uh, to keep me from having to stick my foot in my mouth...do any of the guys here make them? I would prefer to support the "locals" on the forum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've seen many commercially made camo blanks...I haven't seen any home-casts yet...

But don't worry about putting your foot in your mouth - you can definitely get camo blanks...the only thing I don't like about them is that they do take a very high shine, which is counter-intuitive in a camo pattern, in my mind.

Andrew

jbswearingen

I'm sure you could give it a satin sheen by roughing it with fine paper. I found Bear Tooth carries the woodland camo pattern. I'm hunting for other colors, too.

t001xa22

Brad, I have made 3 pens for service folks recently, and had to use store-bought camo. Two of the pens went to Sinai Desert area and Afghanistan, and one went to a Vietnam vet. I wish I knew someone in the "local" circles who made these, too.

Attachments

• DesertCamo1.jpg
    DesertCamo1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 177
  • DesertCamoPen3.JPG
    DesertCamoPen3.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DesertCamoPen4.JPG
    DesertCamoPen4.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Round Top Woodland Camo 2.jpg
    Round Top Woodland Camo 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 178

jbswearingen

Bill--

Your Marine pen is the one I'll be making in the near future to send out. It's for a father who lost his son in Afghanistan a year ago.

t001xa22

Ironically, it was that pen and another in dark navy blue with the Corps clip that really made me happy. I could see my dad looking over my shoulder smiling from ear to ear. The desert camo one with the bars went to an officer in the Sinai, and the first one on a slimline went to an unknown via the Freedom Pen foundation.

elody21

Camo pattern? A challenge!!??
If one made them in alumilite they would not buff to a shine.
Alice

I've seen many commercially made camo blanks...I haven't seen any home-casts yet...

But don't worry about putting your foot in your mouth - you can definitely get camo blanks...the only thing I don't like about them is that they do take a very high shine, which is counter-intuitive in a camo pattern, in my mind.

Andrew

elody21

Opps!! I posted twice!
Deleted
Alice

Andrew

BigShed

As NewLondon88 (Charlie) said I make camo blanks, but they may not suit what you are looking for.

I make 3 different camo blanks, all based on the Australian forces, a jungle camo, a desert camo and a Navy camo.

I have photos in my album here of all 3 on bullet pens (I also make bullet kits).

Jungle camo on .303

IMG_1597.jpg

Navy camo on .308

IMG_1462.jpg

I've been asked about making military themed pens and whether I can get "camo" blanks. Of course, without even thinking, "Where the heck can I buy those?" I immediately said yes.

So, uh, to keep me from having to stick my foot in my mouth...do any of the guys here make them? I would prefer to support the "locals" on the forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom