Calling on the casting brains trust!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justin_F

Hi guys,
Can you please put on your thinking caps and give me some advice? I have been sawing Banksia Pods for some pens I've been asked to make and it seems a shame to throw out the bits left over. I have broken seed shells (half round bit bigger than your thumb nail), slices of varying thicknesses and the brown dust and red dust. (See pics).

What would you do with them and a bit of Polyester Resin??

All thoughts appreciated from you guys and gals!

Jus

Attachments

• IMG_2361 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2361 (Large).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_2367 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2367 (Large).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_2364 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2364 (Large).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

not to change the direction of this thread, but what do the trees look like that they come from? Or the wood itself? I agree with Roger as well, throw them in a mold and get to casting! Its only 10:12pm here, what time is it there?

Last edited:

Justin_F

Here it is...

not to change the direction of this thread, but what do the trees look like that they come from? Or the wood itself? I agree with Roger as well, throw them in a mold and get to casting! Its only 10:12pm here, what time is it there?

Here is a good article from the Australia National Botanic Gardens....http://www.anbg.gov.au/banksia/

And a couple of pics..

(Also sorry I thought it was about 3am but of course thats GMT!)

Attachments

• Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Pod.png
    Pod.png
    741.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 2272-438x.jpg
    2272-438x.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 492
  • banksia_pod_winged.jpg
    banksia_pod_winged.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 434

IPD_Mrs

I think a "banksia seed" pen would be interesting. I love some of the casted pods I have seen so some mixture of the seed/blitz and perhaps a chunk or two should turn out pretty awesome if you can set it up in such a way as to still have some of the open eyes that would definitely be a catchy look I should think.

Linda

penmantoo

g'day all .The timber of the banksia makes a far more interesting pen than the pods they are ok for some turning jobs the timber is chocolate colored with various dark dolored flecks a rather dusty residue is the result of turning a recommend always use a mask as for a finish i use a product called stylwood that i have added a small quantity pure canauba flakes to
the finish is a rich and attractive pen .the down side there is a fair amount of waste due to imperfections in the timber but the result is worth the effort

penmantoo

Hi guys,
Can you please put on your thinking caps and give me some advice? I have been sawing Banksia Pods for some pens I've been asked to make and it seems a shame to throw out the bits left over. I have broken seed shells (half round bit bigger than your thumb nail), slices of varying thicknesses and the brown dust and red dust. (See pics).

What would you do with them and a bit of Polyester Resin??

All thoughts appreciated from you guys and gals!

Jus
Living in oz as i do why dont you try making pens from the timber of the banksia they really do make an interesting pen but there is some waste and a mask is a must

I recently pretreated a Banksia pod with thin CA. I have turned the ends and cut the main body to pen blanks. I have seen no red fuzz and the outer skin is intact with very little tear out. The bits left over are in purple and blue PR. At 3/4 inches thick how long might it take to set up? This is my first attempt at mutt blanks...

PenMan1

I think I would start by placing the nut scraps on a piece of waxed paper, then carefully fill each void with a different colored stone and glue. Once dried, I'd run it over the belt sander to flatten everything, THEN, I'd cast them in clear resin and use them as interesting and unusual segments in pens.

IN FACT, if you have LOTS of scraps, I WOULD LIKE to try this!!!!

sbell111

I recently pretreated a Banksia pod with thin CA. I have turned the ends and cut the main body to pen blanks. I have seen no red fuzz and the outer skin is intact with very little tear out. The bits left over are in purple and blue PR. At 3/4 inches thick how long might it take to set up? This is my first attempt at mutt blanks...

No one can answer this question for you as there are two many variables, such as temperature, moisture, amount of catalyst, etc. Generally, when I cast in resin, I'll just leave it under pressure overnight (or all day). It's probably overkill, but leaving it longer will do no harm.

Top Bottom