CA vs Hot Glue - casting molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Now that I have spent up purchasing a new pressure pot to make pen castings along with other turned items, I have got to economize on some of the other parts. I know I don't have oodles of money to throw.

When I first got into learning about casting using Alumilite, the course I took they used cheap 1/8" hardboard to make a mold around the pieces of wood. As I am generally using irregularly shaped pieces of burl, this method seems to work well. The sides were effectively glued together with med CA glue with a bead run the length of the joint on the inside.

Now, CA is not all that cheap and getting far more expensive each and every year for some reason. I gather it's not made here in Canada and such as our dollar slips, the cost shoots up.

Would using a hot glue gun be just as effective? I can get glue sticks from Amazon for pretty cheap, and the cost of a good glue gun isn't all that much. I think I will get my own rather than trying to borrow my daughters pink bedazzled one, as I know I can use it for other things around the shop. Rather than experiment, I figured I would ask at the place that experts would know.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom