Buying materials at Michael's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

I am going to try casting some PR blanks and at least for the first time I'm going to get all my stuff from Michael's craft store. what things can I use to dye the resin that I can get at Michael's?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck B

I went to my local Michael's looking for powders anything I could use to cover OOPS marks, inclusions, etc... they don't carry anything at all of that nature. Now where the HEII do I get that type of stuff.

Chuck

Chuck,
If you have a Hobby Lobby, they carry a wide variety of embosing powerders and other glitters that you might be able to use.. saw a vid from Ed Davidson where he used the powder to do some deco lines on his pens.. cut a groove and tap the powder into the groove and add a drop of thin CA... it's in the section around their rubber stamps.

mick

Michael's has Pearlex pigments which are just Mica Platelets and do a great job coloring PR .....if you use enough! They also carry some of the transparent and opaque Castin Craft brand of tints for the PR. Use these in conjunction with the Pearlex and you can get some nicely colored resins

Chuck B

Chuck,
The closest Hobby Lobby is 6 states away. I'm in
Rhode Island. So I probably can get stuff from their on line store. What type of stuff should I look for ?

Thanks

Chuck

Doen't it seem were talking to ourselves Chuck from Chuck

its_virgil

Embossing powder is not expensive. I have several colors and they work like powdered stone to fill voids and grooves cut ito pens. They will be with the scrapbooking supplies. As for coloring PR, India Ink works and should be available from various sources. Any descent craft store should have both of these items along with the pearlessece pigments. I've had marginal luck with acrylic pigments.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gothycdesigns
<br />Any idea of how the emosing powders cost for how much container? Is it only a few oz. Does the powder seem to go far for the price?

Later,

Gothyc Designs

gothycdesigns

Thanks Don. I should've added my other reply in this thread. I have a similar question in the thread I started called Which Resins do I use... So I saw the embossing powder, looks like black sand and was like $8. Thought kinda spendy, which seems to be the word about Michaels. I did see the Pearlescent inks, those were $12 for 3 colors. So in your suggestion I should saty aways from acrylics?? Or just certain acrylics?

Thanks,
Ray
~Gothyc Designs

kf4knf

Hey sam,

Like others have said, local craft stores will be a bit more expensive than online...

I have used tempra paint pigment to color some of my PR blanks. Its not the best powder pigment but it can work with a little practice. They jar cost about $3 to $6 can will last for many casts.

Embossing powder works ok.. [B)] If you try and use to much of it your likely to get sand blasted while turning your blank. It can give the PR blank a very rough texture that is hard to sand out without leaving pits.

Someone posted a picture the other day of a cast that was colored with Testors model paint - have you tried that yet? [;)]

Jerryconn

I have tinted my resin with a product from Woodcraft that I was playing around with it is called MIXOL, around here is it $4.99 a bottle and seems that it will last a long time, quite a few colors and seems that it is very opaque when the blank is turned. The only possible down side right now is that the blank takes longer fully cure maybe a couple of days.

gerryr

If you use Testor's enamel, let the bottle "rest" for several days so the pigment and thinner are well separated, then pour off as much thinner as possible. You only really want the pigment, not the thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom