bubbles in label castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cpmech425

I have been trying to cast tubes wrapped with heavy glittered scrap booking paper. So far I have not been able to get one without a lot of bubbles. I am thinking about mod podge over the tube after the glittered paper has been glued on to try to seal all the divits that might be trapping air. anyone have any ideas? Thanks Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
What resin are you using? Are you using pressure? What labels? and are you using anything to seal it prior to casting?

m4skinner

What resin are you using? Are you using pressure? What labels? and are you using anything to seal it prior to casting?

he said he is using glitter scrap book paper.

I use that type of paper before and never sealed it and it was fine, I do use pressure.
I'll post a pic when I find one.

cpmech425

Sorry for the left out info. I am using Alumilite clear slow set under pressure. The labels are glitter scrapbooking paper. I did not seal the paper after glueing it on the tubes. I am wondering if it could be my alumilite. The bottles have been sitting since last march. The caps were on the bottles but were not new bottles. Thanks Brian

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I use alumilte, but never tried that paper. I'm with m4skinner, how long did you let dry before you cast? Typically i apply to tubes and let sit overnight. Then cast next night with no sealer

JohnU

I use alumilite often. It works well with some things and not others. What I have found, when working with a material that may hold air in its pours, alumilite often sets before the air has time to escape. Under pressure it shouldn't be as big of an issue since the air is compresses. Don't assume this paper will work the same as stamps since they are made differently and stamps are probably thinner. If you use polyresin, give it a try. The extra curing time may be a huge help. If you only use Alumilite, try warming the resin to thin it down prior to mixing, also warm the blanks. I use shop clamp lights for both. The heat from the lamp will burn off any humidity from the blank material and dry it out just prior to pouring the resin. That will help the thin resin penetrate the pours of the material. It's all about trial and error. Keep notes each time so when you do find what works, you can repeat the process and be consistent. Good Luck!

John hunter

Your pictures suggest there is an adverse reaction with the paper. I have used the resin you have and gave it away. It cured too quickly to allow for any "adjusting" to be tried.
Bubbles are a pain. I attach photo images to the brass tube (using a special thin self adhesive photographic paper) and get a rogue bubble or three, enough to spoil the job around 33% of the time. I am in the throes of using a pressure pot to remove all bubbles prior to turning.
John

Top Bottom