Best non PP casting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DMANTHEROCK

Ok I have been turning pens for awhile now, and I think it's a waste to buy premade acrylic blanks. So I want to make my own. I have read some discussions on PR over Alumilite, and I want the alumilite... but I don't have a pressure pot, and I don't want to make one. So what is the best none pressure pot brand and technique...

I have heard of some people holding molds over boiling pots of water to remove bubbles from resin, anyone try that?

I don't want to spend a fortune, and I have seen a guide to get started for $100. That's about my range so it's good. But what BRAND?

Can you cast Alumilite without a pressure pot? Att all?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Hmmmmmm, buying them is a waste, and you want to get by on the cheap? Think that will work? Lots have tried, and end up investing in the right equipment after spending money on the cheap. That makes the cheap a real waste of money. There can be a tough learning curve from what I see, so plan on throwing away a bunch at the beginning. Don't forget how expensive Alumilite is. Pretty sure going into it to save money is not the right approach. Going into it for creativity is probably the right approach. Me? I still buy the blanks. It's a more economical method for me.

OOPS

Alumilite is expensive, so even making blanks yourself using Alumilite could cost you more than buying them pre-made. However, of the variety of materials available at reasonable prices, Alumilite is unquestionably the safest of the products. Alumilite has several different formulas, some of which require a pressure pot, while others do not. The types that do not require pressure are Regular, White and Black. Black makes only black blanks, as the dye is added at the factory. Regular can be used, but it takes a lot more dye in order to get the color you want, as Regular is actually tan in color. White is bright, gleaming white--until you add dye. So a few drops of dye go a long way. I have used all three of these without a pressure pot and have not had any problems with air bubbles.

To save you time, money and frustration, do not even attempt to use Alumilite Clear or Water Clear without pressure. It simply does not work.

I hope this helps.

DMANTHEROCK

I have done the math. $5 a blank vs. $2 a blank, that I myself made with the colors of my choice is preffered. Then if i want higher end blanks, the o ly places I uave found that I would consider buying from would be Beyond Wood Products, and to be honest, they are way expensive. It is cheaper and ALSO sounds fun. I'm not just trying to save a buck, but start something new. I enjoy being able to be independent, and this is a big jump.

stonepecker

My opinion. Buying blanks means I am only getting what I am looking at. I don't have a mess to clean up. I don't have 'extra' waste to throw away. I am willing to buy a quality blank for a quality pen.

With that said.

I understand being independent. I also understand listening to others that have gone through all the trouble of learning what works the best. I don't need to experiment that much to make a blank. While I am also always looking how to do something for less cost.......I KNOW you have to have the right equipment to make things work or quality blanks.

Best wishes on your trials and tribulations.

BSea

The answer to your last question is basically, NO! There are way too many bubbles in alumilite cast without pressure (clear alumilite). The pressure does 2 things. It reduces the size of existing bubbles, but more importantly, it prevents bubbles from forming.

That being said, I too wanted to do my own blanks. Not to save money, but it looked like fun. And for the most part it is. But I think your math is a little off. In a perfect world, you should be able to make an alumilite blank for $2. But here's the real world answer, and lets forget about the pressure pot right now. You'll need a mold. There are flat molds and round molds. If your really serious, you'll want 1 of each (at least). Then there are cups, popsicle sticks, mica powders, and dyes. when I pour, I use wax paper under the molds to contain any over pouring. I'm guessing I go through a roll for every 200 blanks. You'll need latex or nitrite gloves unless you want your hands to look like you have really ugly tattoos. Do you have a place to pour? I made a table just for pouring, but you could buy one of those folding tables from Walmart. A scale isn't required, but it helps, and saves time. So forgetting the pressure pot, you're probably looking at close to $200 in initial start-up. Add $100 for basic colors for mixing. Then the cost of the alumilite. Your 1st 100 blanks can easily cost $400 without a pressure post.

I think you're about right at $2 cost per blank for consumables. But how many good blanks will you get? It won't be 100%, I can promise you that. Out of your 1st 2 gallons, I'll be surprised if you get 75 good blanks that actually become pens. Your ratio will get better, but if you think you'll get 150 pen blanks that you'll use or sell from 2 gallons of resin, you're wrong. There is a lot of waste in pouring blanks. For every color you mix, it involves either 2 or 3 cups depending on your pouring method. Each cup will have waste. And usually, in a 6 blank pour, I'll bet I have at least an ounce of wasted resin. But I have a lot of pours that are only 2 or 3 blanks. And the waste is almost the same. How many blanks of the same kind are you going to make at the same time?

I'm not trying to discourage you. But pouring your own blanks is similar to making pens. Like a lathe being the tip of the iceberg as far as cost, so is the cost of the alumilite to make a pen blank.

robertkulp

DIY is more than just saving a few $$. It's about coming up with your own designs. It's about getting a new blank in a couple of hours instead of a couple of days. It's about creating something new/different. It's about the challenge of creating something you've seen elsewhere. It's about having a hand in the full process (sometimes literally). And yes, it can be about saving some money.

There is a minimal investment to start and to really kick it into high gear will take some more $$. But, the great thing about all of this is that it's up to you to determine how far you go with it.

Really, this can be said about turning pens, not just casting blanks.

I wouldn't recommend getting into casting just to save a few bucks. But, it's great to be able to tell your customers, "I made that and I can make one with your favorite colors/design."

Is casting for everyone. No. But then, neither is pen turning. That's why there will always be buyers and sellers.

hukcats1

I've only made a few using PR and using Alumilite. PR REALLY smells up the joint but is easy to turn. I bought colorants at Michaels over a succession of days using a 50% off coupon (multiple times!) to save a few pennies.

The Alumilite was water clear and I built a pressure pot to cure.

Bottom line: I'm probably at about $20/blank at this time (which will fall over time) so, it is NOT cheap to start up.

The real question: Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY, because I love tweaking things my own way.

YMMV

BSea

Just a follow up from my previous post. Today I did 3 different pours of 2 blanks each. I had a total of 2.3 ounces of waste for those 3 pours. I probably could have shaved it closer, but I didn't want the chance of having any short blanks.

Edit: These were single colored blanks. The more colors, the more waste. But it wouldn't double for 2 color blanks

Last edited:

resinman

When you have extra resin after a pour, get yourself a cabachon mold and pour the extra. If you don't know anyone that makes jewelry, wait until you have a bunch and sell on Ebay, Etsy, etc.
Or make a single pen blank mold about 1/3 the length and pour into that. Then make fridge magnets.

ttpenman

I agree with everyone else that casting to save money is probably not a great idea. Lots of small things to buy plus the waste factor.

There are a lot of beautiful blanks out there for less than $5. Shop around, shop when on sale. I get a lot of blanks and rarely pay $5 or more.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

79spitfire

As cost goes, I don't think I'm saving a whole lot over just purchasing blanks (I pour PR in PVC molds). As soon as I get several "good" pours I get some wild inspiration and end up making several very interesting, but otherwise marginal blanks. So yea it's not about cost savings. I would be very hard pressed to pour my own for what BSea charges for his (minus shipping of course). It's about the creative (we call it "Mad Scientist") process.

Now, of course, your significant other want's you to save money, then that is absolutely why your doing it....

P.S. Does your shed ever stop smelling like polystyrene???

Mondo

Between the crew at Slabs, blanks and boards and Jonathan Brooks my son and I gave up the idea of pouring our own. Jonathan gave a nice demo at a meeting and that changed my mind.

crabcreekind

You can cast alumilite white without bubbles and no pressure. Just have to be careful when pouring. And if you heat up the mold before you pour it in, the bubbles will be negligible.

Janster

Best to do it right the first time...if you don't want to invest in the gear to get it right...then pay someone else to do it for you.

Just curious. Do you ever respond to a post without being snide?

..I did not find that "Snide' AT ALL!?!?!? Facts are facts and often times
the truth does not set well w/some folks!

Surely one reason to pour own castings is you can add items to the pour ie. punky wood,
coffee beans, paintes tubes with own design painted on etc. It is not all about saving money.

SDB777

Surely one reason to pour own castings is you can add items to the pour ie. punky wood, coffee beans, paintes tubes with own design painted on etc. It is not all about saving money.

That wasn't mentioned in the OP's original posting though.....

A lot of great information Bob! Didn't realize the amount of waste generated to be that high, but with the number of blanks you are making...I'm guessing you'd know!

A lot of folks forget all the 'little things' in blank making.
I'd like to know more about 'making a pressure pot', especially one that holds up to the higher pressures required to squish the bubbles in Alumilite??

Scott (on the cheap....ain't nothing cheap anymore) B

BSea

A lot of great information Bob! Didn't realize the amount of waste generated to be that high, but with the number of blanks you are making...I'm guessing you'd know!

Scott (on the cheap....ain't nothing cheap anymore) B
I forgot to mention in that post that they were alumilite blanks. So it had double the number of cups. Every cup has residue left in it. I should have considered the fact that they were only 1 color blanks. With multi-color I have to make sure I have enough of all colors for the last blank. So I tend to err on the side of caution rather than trying to make a perfect pour each time. Kinda the same principle of measure twice cut once.

I calculated the difference by saving all the cups, and stir sticks for all 3 pours. Then I weighed the same number of clean cups, and stir sticks and subtracted the 2nd weight from the 1st to get the amount of waste from the 3 pours.

DMANTHEROCK

Wow I didn't realize how long I've been gone for. It's much further down the road now, and I'm not as young or dumb as I was then... Now I'm casting Alumilte on a weekly basis, and it's not about saving money anymore. It's about making my own thing like many of you were saying in the past. I started with Alumilite white because I didn't have the money for a pressure pot and you could see many bubbles in it. It worked for then. Now I have a pressure pot and am casting regularly. Got my process and my colors down fairly well. Thanks for the info guys!

Marko50

Ya nailed it!

Looks like ya nailed it Anthony. It took me a good year of trial and error to come up with my own way of doing things. I've never looked back since. Alumilite is expensive, (about $1.65 per oz) but it turns like butter, won't chip if you drop it and is just all around the better choice. The pressure pot is a must!:)

Top Bottom