Best mask for PR and general wood turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Ok upping my game filter wise with real 3M stuff. Currently I use the big disposable mask from Harbor Freight.

I'm mostly doing Alumilite a LD Epoxy but I get better results with PR and I think its a little cheaper.

So for PR casting and turning and general turning what 3M filters would I need?

Note for PR it would be done at a time I can open up my basement shop door and run a few box fans to the outside.

If I was doing this in a closed room and 8 hours a day I would say I need a full organic 3M 60921 P100 ORGANIC VAPOR FILTER which is huge and may not fit under my face shield when turning.

3m-filter-60921-single-1200x1200_1.jpg

But there is also the 3M Particulate Filter 2097/07184 which has whats called " Nuisance Level Organic Vapor Relief " and seems to be recomended for wood work and are a lot cheaper and smaller.

3m-filter-2097-pair-1200x1200_1_1.jpg

Also once poured I would probably seal up the molds in my pressure pot just to contain the "comments" from others in my house. :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Here is an interesting promotional piece from 3M showing how all of their filters and masks can go together.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/565214O/3m-cartridge-filter-guide-and-brochure.pdf

They also have this which is rated somewhat lower (95%) against dust than the 2907 but is certainly low profile and somewhat cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-8247-Series-Respirator/dp/B000HBHZEQ.

If you want to really up your game you could get a PAPR (powered air purifying respirator) where a battery pack, fan and filters are on your belt connected to a helmet or some other type of head gear by a hose. Fantastic comfort. Fantastic Price.

Worth a look. (Maybe not the PAPR).

Bill

Last edited:

chartle

If you want to really up your game you could get a PAPR (powered air purifying respirator) where a battery pack, fan and filters are on your belt connected to a helmet or some other type of head gear by a hose. Fantastic comfort. Fantastic Price.

Worth a look. (Maybe not the PAPR).

Bill

I refuse to buy any piece of equipment that costs more than my lathe. :rolleyes:

Dehn0045

My opinion is that the 2097 are great for particulates, but do very little for chemical vapors. I also use the organic vapor/acid gas cartridges, and when using them I can't smell any of the various vapors (I'm mostly concerned about CA). With a beard sometimes, however, it doesn't make too much difference -- obviously the masks were designed for use with a clean shave...

Dehn0045

Also, some of the masks are sold with cartridges (either organic vapor or particulate) permanently fixed. Some can accept replacements, but it is really difficult to tell them apart. You can buy a mask for replaceable cartridges and use the particulate 2097 when just doing woodwork, and use the OV when doing work with chemicals

chartle

Also, some of the masks are sold with cartridges (either organic vapor or particulate) permanently fixed. Some can accept replacements, but it is really difficult to tell them apart. You can buy a mask for replaceable cartridges and use the particulate 2097 when just doing woodwork, and use the OV when doing work with chemicals

Usually the ones without replaceable cartridges are marked disposable or Maintenance-free.

jttheclockman

Nothing about the mask because I do not use one with any of those products but I am curious with your findings.

What PR are you using and why do you say you have better results other than price with PR. I use Silmar41 and always loved this stuff but I just tried Liquid Diamonds and I think I have found that as my replacement especially for any cast in or on blanks. Colors I will stick with 41. LD is the most clear resin I ever seen and bubble free. Will need to play with it some more but so far so good.

chartle

What PR are you using and why do you say you have better results other than price with PR. I use Silmar41 and always loved this stuff but I just tried Liquid Diamonds and I think I have found that as my replacement especially for any cast in or on blanks. Colors I will stick with 41. LD is the most clear resin I ever seen and bubble free. Will need to play with it some more but so far so good.

I haven't been able to achieve the same results with LD and alumilite when it comes to multi color pours and color separation.

It may have to do with that I'm doing hybrid casting and the thickness or viscosity you want for separation doesn't seem to work well with good penetration of the wood.

jttheclockman

I haven't been able to achieve the same results with LD and alumilite when it comes to multi color pours and color separation.

It may have to do with that I'm doing hybrid casting and the thickness or viscosity you want for separation doesn't seem to work well with good penetration of the wood.

I would not waste the extra money on LD for color pours. Any PR will do that. I would think if you are looking for swirls that is not the resin because of the long cure time as opposed to PR. No nothing about alumilite.

JPW062

I use the 60921 cartridge filter. It is great. Big, heavy, hot, but filters out just about everything.
The disposable metal clip on the nose filters are pretty useless IME. When you get done using one look in the mirror. You will almost certainly see that between your nose and eye it is very dirty. That is because the mask did not seal and you breathed around the filter.

Last edited:

chartle

Ok I got a 3M "clone" from my favorite Chinese direct place that sent it to me in 4 days from their NJ warehouse.

They are 6001CN main cartridges with the extra dust filters.

Just needs a slight mod. I need to direct the exhaust down to keep my face shield clear.

Attachments

• 20180222_150451_resized.jpg
    20180222_150451_resized.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Top Bottom