Before or After

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If your stabilizing them for yourself, than it really doesn't matter. If you are stabilizing to sell, than I'd cut to size after to remove the excess hardened solution and allow the buyer to see what the wood looks like.

robutacion

I have some spalted hackberry. My question is. Is it better to cut to size before I stablize or after?

Thanks,

While you already have sufficient answers to your question, I would suggest to cut the wood slight oversized and then stabilized, why...??? the main reason is that the smaller the piece the better, easier and quicker the stabilization solution will penetrate and therefore allowing full saturation something that can not be as easy, if the piece is big...!

Cheers
George

HamTurns

I'm with George on this one. If I'm making calls I'll rough turn both parts and drill the barrel undersized, in order to re-drill it after stabilization.

I used to stabilize regular square cut blanks, then I started roughing them out to a closer size to final and learned that I could get a lot more of them in the vacuum chamber, it took a shorter amount of time to complete the vacuuming process, and it used less "juice" due to smaller mass of the blanks.

I do the same thing with pen blanks, round them out and drill them with a 7mm. Then when you want to use them you re-drill them (even 7mm works), glue the tubes and go.

Happy turning - Tom

Kenny Durrant

I agree with the others on trimming close to size for better penatration. Plus you don't waste material and time stabilizing what you know you don't need.

liljohn1368

Thanks guys. Im always learning new things on here. I've got everything but the cactus juice and I will get it one day next week. Again thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom