Assembled the pressure pot - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 250

Cure time can vary depending on the temperature. During our hot desert summers I can demold Silmar 41 in 4 hours and probably less, but I leave it overnight during the "cold" months. Also, it doesn't hurt to replace the blowoff valve with one you know will work. I read where a guy pumped his up to 90psi and blew the lid 12 feet from the pot because the safety valve didn't open. There's a thread here on replacing the parts with ones bought on Amazon if you haven't already read it, but that's probably not necessary. Still, it buys some peace of mind for $40.
Just so you feel safe, my pot has been at 60psi for hours without any problem, but I prefer to keep it at 50. I forgot I turned the pressure up on my compressor when I was inflating my bike tires and accidentally tried to blow the pot apart. Just be sure you get the lid cranked down real tight. If not you can have anything from a minor leak to one or more of the clamps popping off, both have happened to me. I made a wrench from a 2" dowel with a slot cut halfway through and give each clamp an extra turn after hand tightening now, and have never had a problem since.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I had to replace my relief valve since I broke the original tightening it down too much.

It's set for 60 and it means it.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

"With a 2-1/4 gallon capacity, this Paint Tank features a smooth-walled galvanized-steel tank for easy cleanup, double output regulator and pressure relief/safety valve. Lid gasket and clamps stay attached during lid removal. Works with any pressure feed HVLP or conventional spray gun. Maximum pressure is 45 PSI."

If the people that make the pot say 45 psi max - why do so many people take the chance to use higher pressure?

My car owners manual says oil capacity 5 quarts, but I put in 6 - haven't had a problem yet...

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 21

Not really a valid comparison. Motor needs a certain amount of oil to operate, lawyers put a pressure rating on a pot. I doubt very seriously these Chinese pots go through any kind of rigorous testing and they just pick a nice safe pressure to stamp on there. Funny thing, the lid on my Grizzly pot actually says 90psi and the body says 45.
McKenzie Penworks is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, there are safety concerns using these. If they stamp 60 lbs max on it and put a 60lbs blow off valve you can be sure they test much higher than that. in 20+ years of working in a shop with a lot of these used for spraying laminate glue I do not remember one failure. Use common sense and safety precautions and there's little to worry about.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads