Anyone tried casting tobacco?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micah

Like pipe tobacco in a clear acrylic? That would be cool if it turned out ok and I could probably sell of few of those...
I'd be willing to donate a decent size bag of tobacco to someone that thinks it has a good possibility of being done.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

I'd be willing to buy a couple to try it also. I just don't know how to cast and don't know any body who does it. I also want to try parsley and oregano for a chief friend.

Kevin

Yeah a chef friend....... I used to have friends that would probably like oregano in a pen.... :peace:

USED TO HAVE ........ I still have friends who wouldnt mind that. Ive sold them quite a few bracelet assistants too...

Chasper

I've wrapped dried tobacco leaves around tubes and poured clear resin around them. It works fine but the finished pen is not very attractive.

micah

I didn't know if maybe the acrylic, or whatever you guys use, would moisten the tobacco to mush or not. If it didn't and it was like those dollar bill shreds that Ive seen in some blanks I would definitely be interested in them. I am a pipe smoker and I know several others that are as well. I think that it would be a big hit. Like I said, if one of you guys think you can do it let me know and I'll see about getting some tobacco to you if you need it.
On a side note, I just got an order for 12 BOW pens! Totally stoked!

Jim Burr

Banned
I did one out of lentil beans for a chef friend. Pipe tobacco is a bit on the moist side but there shouldn't be a reason it couldn't dry and be cast. As many here demonstrated on a daily basis...anything can be cast...provided you have the nerve!!

penmanship

i have actually cast tobacco. After the initial turning, there were so many voids that I re-cast the same blank again. It turned out not bad! It came out looking more like a burl.

wiset1

When I first started turning I tried the whole casting thing as well and one of my first projects was to buy some cheap cigars and pull the leaf off and wrap it on a tube for casting. Now that I know how it works and how to do it correctly I can look back at the failures and move on...so yes, it can be done! I put it on with CA glue, but you can see some casting shine where I think there might have been some moisture or too much CA...who knows.

5129415346_868cdeca83.jpg

grz5

I have a bag that I'd be willing to send your way in exchange for a blank or 2. PM me if your interested.

SDB777

Are you wanting the processed tobacco like in a cigarette, or a wrapper from a cigar(including the leaf)?

Thoughts on the processed stuff.....

#1: Wouldn't it all settle on one end of the pour(using a vertical mold), or the bottom(using a horizonal mold)?

#2: Wouldn't it be better to glue it to a tube, then clear cast using one of the 'saver' type molds?

Scott (thinking out loud...don't listen) B

jjudge

I would think the shredded tobacco would look like the shredded money blanks, but - yes, I'd think - burl-like.

But, I can imagine an amazing looking tobacco leaf pen - a la snakeskin, fabric, etc blanks.

micah

I was thinking of the processed tobacco. Not cigarettes though. That is too fine of a cut. Pipe tobacco is a more of a rough cut. Kind of like small ribbons. At least the kind I'm thinking of. Yep just like the shredded money blanks.

Daniel

I grow my own tobacco. The leaves are pretty tough. It is how the leaf is cut that makes it different. Actually cigarette tobacco is a long thin ribbon cut. In most cigarettes it ends up small flakes because it dried out and got broken into pieces. You coudl use a whole leaf and actually roll it onto a pen just like rolling a cigar. You would want to look up how to do it though. part of the trick once again is how the leaf is cut. Also a good cigar leaf is thin and has very small veins. You would want to moisten it to wrap then let it dry out. Your first attempt is not likely to be your best. Otherwise you should be able to work on your technique until it looks like a real cigar should.

louie68

Heck I casted a real live red rose petal one day and it work, tobacco should work...

Top Bottom