This works if in a hurry.

Les

Attachments

• 31 - MINWAX Wood Hardener.jpg
    31 - MINWAX Wood Hardener.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 174

Les
Tried that and didn't like it. Also heard the vapor was bad for the seals in the pump.

Minwax ruined my first vacuum pump the one time I tried it, I'm sure it's not intended to be used under vacuum but I thought it would help. It proved to be an expensive mistake. As for BVV/SF/CJ I believe they're all methacrylate resin so I would expect similar performance from them.

ramaroodle

Les
Tried that and didn't like it. Also heard the vapor was bad for the seals in the pump.

Minwax ruined my first vacuum pump the one time I tried it, I'm sure it's not intended to be used under vacuum but I thought it would help. It proved to be an expensive mistake. As for BVV/SF/CJ I believe they're all methacrylate resin so I would expect similar performance from them.

Actually, I think it ruined mine too. I had a smaller pump when I first tried stabilizing, didn't want to wait for the CJ to arrive and bought the minwax from Home Depot. I let it run for an hour and came back and there was pump oil in the pot and the pump was super hot. I blamed it on the pump and replaced it with a better one. Was probably me ruining it, poor thing. :confused:

I ordered a quart of the BVV. If it seems to work the same as CJ and is less $ then I'll get a larger jug.

Last edited:
The Minwax is mostly solvent with a little desolved resin. I'm guessing the solvent flashed under vacuum and was absorbed by the pump oil thinning it.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

You could be right, it seized my pump up. I tore it apart and cleaned it before reassembling, added fresh oil and it would spin again but wouldn't pull a vacuum. The light at the end of the tunnel: I now have a much better Robinaire and know what not to do!

Top Bottom