Anybody cast coffee beans tube in?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anybody cast coffee beans with the tube in? It would be awfully nice to avoid the drilling step on these.

Welcome to the site. Hope you stick around and have some fun.

To your question. Everything is possible. But the problem is you would need to secure the beans to the tubes or else they will float away from it. Even using pressure will ensure you that you get full coverage unless you secure to the tube. Now if you are just making a solid blank you can fill the resin as full as you want to make the blank full. Hope that makes sense. :)

ima_pseudonym

Thanks for the welcome, though I have actually been lurking for a while, I read a lot more than I post. There may well be a reason I couldn't find anyone posting about casting beans tube in....

If I understand your concern, it is that the beans above (and possibly alongside) the tube in the mold will float up and there won't be any coverage there. Maybe weighting them down with a screen or the other things people use would solve that?

My main concern had been that unlike in a drilled blank, the orientation of beans near the tube won't be as random. Since they can only start near the tube rather than have the tube get drilled through their middle.

jttheclockman

You would have to worry about beans on the bottom as well. It is more random if you make a solid block and drill for the tube. That really is not that hard to do. Not sure how much casting experience you have.

Here is a few threads

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/any-success-tips-coffee-bean-pens-120602/

There is too many threads so here is the search page and you can look through them

http://www.penturners.org/forum/search.php?searchid=8545351&pp=25&page=2

Just a word about casting them, you will need a pressure pot. They do trap alot of air bubbles and you have fall out of the beans so be prepared for that too. Many people make those blanks also in case you just want to buy them.As you will read some people stabalize the beans before casting too. Not sure if that is needed. Never made a coffeee bean blank. Good luck.

Last edited:

Curly

The other consideration is that the bean is relatively large and when placed on the tube, even tightly, most of it will be turned away. You end up with a lot of resin compared to bean showing especially on some of the thin wall pens.

Top Bottom