Another What the Heck????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Would anyone have an idea of what went wrong? This was cast in pvc, lightly lubricated with mineral spirits and petrolium jelly mix, at approx 50# pressure. I've had a couple of them wrinkle like this! :confused::confused:

Attachments

• Old bumpy face 1_576x233.jpg
    Old bumpy face 1_576x233.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Old bumpy face 2_576x175.jpg
    Old bumpy face 2_576x175.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Old bumpy face 3_360x153.jpg
    Old bumpy face 3_360x153.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Alergic reaction? Try Pan cooking spray oil instead. Either spray your mold or a rag and wipe down and see if it continues to have a problem.

DozerMite

Banned
I don't use any release, but have had blanks similar. I found that it's a chemical reaction between the colors. Look at the MSDS and you will see what is in the colorants.
Change one of the colors to something similar in color. If it works, check the MSDS and see what is different.

IPD_Mr

Why in the heck did you turn that last one. If you would have drilled it and put some sort of nib or refill to it, you could have won the ugliest pen contest hands down. Now you will have to compete with Brooks for prettiest casting.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
TRUST ME!!! I've plenty of that left. I hadn't thought about the ugliest pen contest!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Would you like straight bronze or bronze and "green"? Yeh, I saw your post! Like you, I am not a great Zen affectionado but that one looks good!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Why in the heck did you turn that last one. If you would have drilled it and put some sort of nib or refill to it, you could have won the ugliest pen contest hands down. Now you will have to compete with Brooks for prettiest casting.

elody21

Would anyone have an idea of what went wrong? This was cast in pvc, lightly lubricated with mineral spirits and petrolium jelly mix, at approx 50# pressure. I've had a couple of them wrinkle like this! :confused::confused:

Is there anything besides color added to the blank?

Sometimes I add a very little amount of black embossing powder to add the look of the specks in some natural stone.
I added a lot once just to see what would happen and it was similar to the dimpled one, but it was that way all the way through and was unusable.
Very odd
I only use vaseline and have never had that reaction.
Alice

Phunky_2003

My guess would be too much mold release sprayed in the tubes, leaving a coating with dimpled and the wrinkled look. I get the same look on some when I use too much in clear castings also. If it continued in the blank then I'd look elsewhere.

Try thinning your mold release a little more.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

Is there anything besides color added to the blank?

Sometimes I add a very little amount of black embossing powder to add the look of the specks in some natural stone.
I added a lot once just to see what would happen and it was similar to the dimpled one, but it was that way all the way through and was unusable.
Very odd
I only use vaseline and have never had that reaction.
Alice
That was with Silmar 41 and Mica! Nothing else added except pressure. Would this be the reaction, IF mekp was omitted/forgotten in one of the colors? :redface: I'm not saying I did, I'm saying I'm not sure!!!:wink:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Finished Product

One more picture. This is after turning and placing on a Rose Gold Aero! I had one small hole to fill with CA :wink:

Attachments

• DSC_7141_1024x499.jpg
    DSC_7141_1024x499.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_7142_1024x425.jpg
    DSC_7142_1024x425.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Top Bottom