Another Vacum Pump Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

I change my pump oil after each second use but there is "muck" showing in the sight glass where the fill line is. There are 4-5 holes in the plate in there where the "muck" flows through into the glass area.

My question is how do you clean that out? Just changing oil doesen't budge it.
Thanks,

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

It seems that you have gotten some foam from your stabilizing jar into the pump. You could try and thin the oil a little using Varsol or mineral spirits - drain 50% of oil out, refill with thinner, run the pump for a minute max. and then quickly drain the oil. The other option is to leave it as is and ensure that you don't get any more junk into the pump.

robutacion

I change my pump oil after each second use but there is "muck" showing in the sight glass where the fill line is. There are 4-5 holes in the plate in there where the "muck" flows through into the glass area.

My question is how do you clean that out? Just changing oil doesen't budge it.
Thanks,

Ray

G'day Ray,

I have cleaned mine a couple of times and you can do it the easy way or the hard way...!

*- Easy way,
Remove/drain all oil from the pump, if oil is still good, put in in a container for re-use after the pump sump is clean.
Make sure the pump is disconnected from the power, close the oil drain screw, fill the pump sump with enough petrol just to appear on that oil level window, close the oil plug (top one), grab the whole pump and give it a good shake in such way that you can see the petrol washing over that small glass window and you should start seeing the gunk stuck between the glass and the metal inner cover, start melting away.
Repeat if necessary but, one application should be sufficient.

Shaking the pump will not cause any damage, and most of the residue/gunk settles on the base of the oil sump and not so much inside of the pump due to the oil pressure when running. Let the petrol drain completely, you can use the air blow gun to force out any petrol at the bottom of the sump, you just have to make sure the bottom drain screw is off...!

Refill with oil, and you are ready for another run...!

* The hard way,

004.JPG Drain the oil and remove the sump reservoir/cover, 4 hex bolts hold it together with a round O'ring as the gasket. This is a easy process and does not affect the pump in any way. There will be lots of gunk at the cover bottom, that you can now access easily and wash it all with petrol, 013.JPG the glass oil level window is now a lot easier to reach, the perforated metal cover is fixed/glue on the inside but, you can easily clean the glass (I use the air washing gun with some petrol in it).

You will also see some surface rust from the water, and a bit of dirt on the valve(s) housing that is now exposed, 012 (2).JPG 017.JPG 019.JPGyou don't have to dismantle anything, you simple clean all that the best way you can and then put the cover back in.

Take some attention when installing the O'ring in the cover grove, as it tend to move out of place when installing it so, put the cover in place slowly and make sure the O'ring is in its place, as it touches the flat surface of the pump, only then screw the bolts in, maintaining a constant pressure with you hand until the 4 bolts have secure the cover against the pump housing. Make sure the bolts have a even torque, they have to be quite firm.

You now have all the gunk residue cleaned, refill with oil and you are ready to go...!

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

George, how old is your vacuum pump? It looks terrible inside with all that rust. It shouldn't hurt the operation of the pump but boy does it look yucky.
Tim.

robutacion

George, how old is your vacuum pump? It looks terrible inside with all that rust. It shouldn't hurt the operation of the pump but boy does it look yucky.
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Is not how old the pump is but, how many hours of work does it has...???

Age is about 20 months, oil consumption so far is about 4lt gallon container (oil changes), gallons of Cactus Juice put through, not really sure but about 30 gallons or so, maybe more, I have to ask Curtis...!

The pics are from my first oil sump removal and after the first 6 months of stabilizing gallon after gallon, I never had/worked with a vacuum pump before, I wasn't sure how often the oil should be changed (was clear oil, originally) and most importantly, I had no idea of how much moisture these pumps suck 016 (2).JPG so, I kept wondering why the oil level would go up and not down, to be point where, on releasing the vacuum, my primary filter (I had 2 at the time) would get full of oil...! 001.JPG

All that rust was created from the amount of water set on the oil sump for some time, the surface rust was easy to remove, even easier with my mini sand blaster, I don't think that I took pics of it after cleaned (I should have, tough..!:mad:) but, it would never cause much damage as oil was running over all surfaces when working.

The sediment/gunk seen inside the sump, is a combination of various things, the water staying that for that long, was one of the bigger ones...!

The pump itself was rinsed with some degreaser and the motor turned on for about 10 seconds or less, that was enough to let the degreaser run though the system and wash out any gunk from the inside but, it come out fairly clean, all gunk was in the sump's bottom.

Since then, I only had to dismantle it once more after I decided to attempt dye (not stabilize) some timber I had, with a synthetic dark blue dye and 1 gallon of Methylated Spirits, not a good idea, I'm telling you, the vapours almost destroyed the pump and the new oil (red in colour) turn to almost black in less than 5 minutes so, that was the end of that, and a big mess inside the pump...!:mad:

I now maintain the oil level just above the minimum and strain/bleed the water on the sump bottom, by unscrewing the bleeding screw, until I get clean oil coming through, top up any oil lost in the process and keeping doing this before I turn the pump on, for every 8 to 10 stabilization session. Remember that my chamber is 16lt capacity, and I try to fill it as much as I can, each time, the amount of juice require to top it up, can be between a full gallon and a 1 1/2 gallons, this mean that, the double stage pump works a lot harder than most, 16lt volume to put and maintain under full vacuum for about 4 to 6 hours, is not an easy task so, oil changes have to be proportional to the amount of hours and load/vacuum required from the pump so, is no such thing as a set rule...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom