The Aluminum Millings Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alinc100

Hi All,
About 1 month ago I came up with an idea to cast aluminum millings into resin pen blanks.They were a by product of a project at work and I wanted to see if they could be recycled into a pen blank.My biggest problem? I am not a caster,I have no casting equipment or supplies.So I went onto IAP and in the Deals,Trades,Gifts & Wants forum I posted these aluminum millings that I would like to send out to anyone who asked in order to be casted. In return I asked for a blank from the casting results.
Here is the aluminum as it went out.
IMG_0269 (Medium).JPGIMG_0270 (Medium).JPG

Here are some of the results in raw form.I hope to turn atleast one into a pen today.

IMG_0314edit.jpg

IMG_0315edit.jpg

IMG_0316edit.jpg

Great looking blanks,don't you think? I was blown away when I opened the packages.

Some messages have been exchanged by PM regarding issues with the aluminum sinking to the bottom of the molds,pockets and voids around the aluminum swirls,etc.

What I would like to do with this thread is to promote further discussion as a learning tool for all of us.

IIRC the Blue ,Black/Silver,and Darker Red blanks are Aluminite and the other Red is PR.

And for those of you who may want some aluminum millings I may have an opportunity next week to gather more.

Thanks,
Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alinc100

More Photos

Hi All,
About 1 month ago I came up with an idea to cast aluminum millings into resin pen blanks.They were a by product of a project at work and I wanted to see if they could be recycled into a pen blank.My biggest problem? I am not a caster,I have no casting equipment or supplies.So I went onto IAP and in the Deals,Trades,Gifts & Wants forum I posted these aluminum millings that I would like to send out to anyone who asked in order to be casted. In return I asked for a blank from the casting results.
Here is the aluminum as it went out.
View attachment 75058View attachment 75059

Here are some of the results in raw form.I hope to turn atleast one into a pen today.

View attachment 75060

View attachment 75061

View attachment 75062

Great looking blanks,don't you think? I was blown away when I opened the packages.

Some messages have been exchanged by PM regarding issues with the aluminum sinking to the bottom of the molds,pockets and voids around the aluminum swirls,etc.

What I would like to do with this thread is to promote further discussion as a learning tool for all of us.

IIRC the Blue ,Black/Silver,and Darker Red blanks are Aluminite and the other Red is PR.

And for those of you who may want some aluminum millings I may have an opportunity next week to gather more.

Thanks,
Andy

i just realized I missed/deleted a couple photo attachments so here they are:
IMG_0317edit.jpg

IMG_0318edit.jpg

Padre

I will watch with anticipation as you turn these. I was wondering as I looked at those great blanks if, as you turn, the aluminum millings will be sharp on the outside of the blank? A good coat of ca would solve that though. Good luck and keep us posted!

Akula

I do them, got a few bags full now. When I cast them, I just make sure the resin is dark and has little or best no transparency. That allows a good outside pattern without seeing the curve of any pieces. I pack the molds so there has not been any issues of them just sinking. I have had one or two in the past try and chip out because there was so much aluminum but a good mix of resin ratio solved it.

I always wanted to see a aluminum filling for the sockets of an alligator jaw cast in a dark blank. Just never got around to doing it

Lets see some finished pens

alinc100

One finished.Whew!!

Ok between laundry,lawn work and some general loafing this weekend I was able to get one blank spun into a pen this weekend.
I used the "Manhattan" pen from Rockler.A Sierra by another name....

Anyhow the aluminum millings like to catch and pop out from the blank causing tear out.I practiced steady and slow with a carbide tool R2 radius and patiently went at this blank.
It was time consuming,tedious,and sometimes frustrating. Definately a challenge.But worth the effort I believe.
Best part was as soon as I showed the wife her eyes lit up and she claimed it as hers.
I had to intervene to snap a couple photos before her possession was final.

IMG_0319edit.jpg

IMG_0320edit.jpg

IMG_0321edit.jpg

sumterdad

I tbc one the other night to see where mine looked but I did not get a good evenly amount most sank while some where on top. Will try a couple more tomorrow

vanngo5d

Andy that turned out great I'm glad it was able to turn without to many problems.
Just having your wife claiming shows a lot, they are our biggest critics.

Can't wait to see the others.
That looks like the aluminite, I haven't turned that one yet.

Don Vann

Sylvanite

I did not get a good evenly amount most sank while some where on top.
I used alumilite clear, and even though it is pretty thick to begin with, the aluminum millings would sink to the bottom. So, after mixing everything together, I waited until the resin began to gel. Then I gave it a quick stir, poured, and put it under pressure. At that point, the alumilite was viscous enough that the millings were held in suspension until the resin cured.

I'd bet that the same technique would work with PR as well.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Justturnin

I would think the ideal scenario would be to fill your mold with shavings and pour the resin over and place it under pressure to push the resin into the mold w/ the shavings.

Sylvanite

I would think the ideal scenario would be to fill your mold with shavings and pour the resin over and place it under pressure to push the resin into the mold w/ the shavings.
I considered doing that, but elected not to for two reasons:
  1. I thought that if the millings were too dense that the blank might tend to fracture, and
  2. I didn't want to use up the aluminum that quickly.
I was also concerned about the resin not filling all the voids in the millings, so I mixed them in thoroughly (and let the air bubble out) before gelling occured.

Regards,
Eric

alinc100

More Casting

Hi All,
I got a couple more castings in the mail this week.
These are copper and black .I think they are gonna be great as are the others.
Now if I could just clean my plate and get some turning done.....

IMG_0325edit.jpg

IMG_0323edit.jpg

IMG_0322edit.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0324edit.jpg
    IMG_0324edit.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 141
Top Bottom