alumilite versus poly resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
R

RobPlatt

I've been lurking for a few weeks, and thinking about getting some supplies to try my hand at casting some pen blanks. I've read about the difference in 'smell' and cure time for both alumilite and poly resin...

Is there a visible difference between the materials once they're turned and finished?

Rob Platt
Shawnee, KS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Some say yes and several disagree. Some say no and several disagree. Some of us like polyester resin and others won't live in the same county where there is any known polyester resin stored. Some of us like alumilite and curse other resins. I would suggest that you research your question in the casting forum. You will find several takes on the polyester resin vs alumilite saga. I'm not trying to be a horse's rear about your question but I don't really think there is a definite answer. It is a matter of personal preference and how deep your pocket book is... and oh yea, and how much your value your health. And I almost forgot: Polyester Resin Rocks!!! :D:D:D
Next.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by RobPlatt

I've been lurking for a few weeks, and thinking about getting some supplies to try my hand at casting some pen blanks. I've read about the difference in 'smell' and cure time for both alumilite and poly resin...

Is there a visible difference between the materials once they're turned and finished?

Rob Platt
Shawnee, KS

OKLAHOMAN

If the odor is not a problem for you PR will give you a much better finish and also the cost is 75% cheaper,IMHO PR turns great,finishes better and cost less.When casting snakeskin PR is a clearer casting than alumilite.Curtis Seebeck AKA MesquiteMan is the expert on alumilite and might not agree with me but this is my opinion.
BTW I totally agree with Don..Polyester Resin Rocks

I have bought and used both. After several casts using both materials I settled on polyester resin.

Polyester resin:
- Gives me much longer open working time
- Adheres to labels (I was never able to successfully cast a label using Alumilite)
- Is less expensive
- Is far more flexible when it comes to mixing ratios (you need to measure Alumilite with a scale)
- Finishes easier (for me)

Things to consider with PR:
- It has a strong odor
- Curing is more sensitive to heat/humidity
- It shrinks a bit more than Alumilite when cured.

doddman70

I'm a PR guy myself And very happy with it. I have never tried alumilite simply because of the cost at 100.00 bucks a gallon it is a little steep especially when I can get 5 gallons of PR for only 130.00.:D:D

sbell111

I've made lots of other stuff with alumilite, but I prefer PR for pen blanks. I simply need more working time than alumilite allows.

armyturner

I like PR for pen blanks. It is thicker than Alumilite, so it is easier for me to get the swirl patterns that I like. It polishes very well also. The only downside for me is that it is brittle. If you drop your pen the wrong way, you will be replacing it. For that reason I only use Alumilite for my game call blanks, since calls tend to get more abuse then pens.

ElMostro

OK, I'm sticking my head out for Alumilite. Yes, it is more expensive than PR BUT, a 1 gallon kit actually gives you 2 gallons bec the kit consists of 1 gallon of part A and 1 gallon of part B. That comes down to $80 per gallon for the clear. Yes, it is more expensive BUT it is dummy proof (that is a good thing for me). You mix equal amounts by weight, if you are going to mix any dyes you mix them into one part and then add the second part. Some say it sets too fast...well...that is relative. Four minutes is a long time (if you don't believe me hold your breath for 4 minutes and see what happens). Anyway, it's a matter of being well organized; resin, mixing cup, mixing stick, dyes, mold, air in the compressor, lid off pressure pot etc. If you do the mix and then realize that the pot already has a cast in it and is under pressure by the time you empty the pot and open the lid the cast you were getting ready to put is going to set before you get it in the pot an under pressure (DAMHIKT[B)]).
Advantages of Alumilite:
- Very, very little smell when working and no residual stink (I mean smell)
- Sets faster than PR (some say this is a disadvantage)
- Less prone to chip-out (at least for me) when compared to PR
- No need to adjust for heat or humidity
- No guessing on the amount of hardener, just mix equal amounts by weight
- It is gentler on your turning tools, band saw, jointer, chop saw, drill bits
- Does not shrink
- Thinner than PR so it penetrates better for stabilizing blanks (but then PR sets slower so it has more time to penetrate
- You can cast a blank and turn a pen in the same day
- No HAZMAT shipping for larger amounts
- You can work it indoors and WIFE won't complain about the smell

Disadvantages
- More expensive than PR
- Shorter open time
- Since it does not shrink if you use PVC as a mold you will need a release agent
- Bec its thinner than PR it is hard to achieve swirls, colors tent to mix together

That's my story and I am sticking to it!:D

sbell111

I certainly agree that mixing up alumilite is easier. The fact is, I never even used to weigh out the two parts. I'd poor a cup of each, eyeballing to see that there was about the same in each, and mix them up. Counting drops with PR can be tedious, especially if you are making a big batch of the stuff.

its_virgil

I've been called a dummy several times in my life and I find polyester resin very easy to mix. I cast 8 ounces at a time and can count to 24.:D:D:D:D It works every time...for me at least.

I would not even attempt to try and get anyone to switch from one to the other. We all use what we like and what we think works best for us.

I have no problem with polyester resin being brittle as some suggest. Yes, a pen may crack if dropped, but so does my wife's expensive china. For what we paid for it, it should be more durable.:D:D:D:D

Happy casting...this is supposed to be fun...and it is.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ElMostro

Yes, it is more expensive BUT it is dummy proof
Yes, it is more expensive BUT it is dummy proofX

sbell111

Originally posted by its_virgil

I've been called a dummy several times in my life and I find polyester resin very easy to mix. I cast 8 ounces at a time and can count to 24.:D:D:D:D It works every time...for me at least.
It works for me also, but I find it tedious to count out the drops. "Oh my, that was a longer drop. Should I count it as two?" Even though I realize that the small variance between 23 drops and 25 drops makes no difference, I still think about it.

ElMostro

Ok Virgil, I'll admit it, I just like faint smell of Alumilite :D. I am not saying one is better than the other...I just mess up less using alumilite so it's not the resin it's me:D:D

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Alumilite for me. Less brittle, more predictable, no smell. I had a blank given to me by someone on this forum that was made with PR. This is from someone who swears that their PR is not brittle. I accidentally dropped it and it cracked and had to be thrown away. I did not even get to turn it. Just for grins I took one of my Alumilite cactus blanks and dropped it and nothing happened. I then threw it on the floor pretty hard and nothing happened. Finally I threw it as hard as I could and it did not crack or break.

Another big thing about Alumilite vs. PR...Alumilite Corporation supports IAP and the VP for the company is a member here. When was the last time ANY PR manufacturer or retailer donated PR to anything here at IAP?? Alumilite is made in Kalamazoo, MI by an American company that is one of the best companies around to work with. They will continue to get all of my business!

Verne

I hate turning plastic! Eye candy has to include plastic so I will still turn it to get a pen that catches the eye of those that just don't want wood. Having said that, I recently turned some cactus pens and really was happy with the way the product turned. Sooooo, my vote has to go the Alumilite.
Just my thots,
Vern

chigdon

I don't cast blanks -- I turn blanks that other people cast. I know there are properties that of PR that may allow more flexibility of design with it's longer curing time -- but what do I know, I don't cast. What I do know is turning pens. If I could have my way I would only work with alumilite. The smell is a big thing for me with all the crap I breathe in already in my shop. It is easier to drill, easier to turn, and can't imagine anything being more clear. Is PR more clear than alumilite = is Dasani more clear than Auqafina? If they are both water clear to the eye then . . .

I will say one thing and get off my soap box. This was posted in the casting forum so talk about what is a better casting material is fair game. If the discussion is purely about what is a better casting material then have at it -- I will bow out and sit back and watch. If the discussion is also about which is a better turning material then MY opinion is 100% alumilite. That being said I will continue to look for the latest and greatest stuff you geniuses keep pumping out regardless of the material.

Jarheaded

I use Alumilite and like it a lot. I have gone through several gallons and have never had any problems that couldn't be easily fixed. When the weather warms up and I can work outside of my garage, I would like to try casting with some PR and see what all the talk is about. I figure that we each have our own opinions on what we like and I have only used Alumilite so far, so I can't say which one is better for casting for me. But as far as turning, I like to turn Alumilite better and I can turn a blank 30 minutes after I mixed the batch. My other half was concerned when I first started casting and was worried about the smell in the house. She came into my casting area to talk to me about her concerns and didn't even know that while she was talking, I was mixing a batch up. All concerns were gone after that.

Originally posted by chigdon

Snippage

Is PR more clear than alumilite = is Dasani more clear than Auqafina? If they are both water clear to the eye then . . .

Snappige

One of the problems in this discussion is that when one states they use Alumilite, you have a known material, that is a polyurethane manufactured by the Alumilite Co. It has a specific set of properties.

When someone states they cast PR(Polyester Resin) there is now an unknown variable. Is it Silmar 41? Is it PR by ETI? Is it an import brand? There are many brands and formulations of PR, not to mention 3drops of MEKp V 7drops of MEKp per ounce.

I was talking with vendor in another group I am in, who is the resin guy to go to, he could provide a Polyurethane that was water clear, does not yellow with age, and had a UV inhibitor in it, execelent machinability, was not fragile, and had an open time of 20 min. The choke point was the $300.00 for the binary gallon kit.

Ultimatley it comes down to your personal economics, and desire. If I can sell more product made with PR(S41-3d) to be able to afford, and work my way to using Alumilite, get the color mix and pattern changed over to work within the open time then I may switch but until then...

thewishman

Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Just for grins I took one of my Alumilite cactus blanks and dropped it and nothing happened. I then threw it on the floor pretty hard and nothing happened. Finally I threw it as hard as I could and it did not crack or break.

Curtis, is that blank for sale? "<s>Torture-tested</s> Rigorously tested cactus blanks - now available!" ;)

Chris

Top Bottom