Alumilite slow vs regular

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

My son and are about to try our hand at blank casting. We have settled in on using alumilite primarily because of odor issues.

For starting out would you recommend their slow formula or regular?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

My only experience has been with the "Amazing Crystal Clear Cast" resin that is equal portions of part A and part B.

It's also a very low odor formulation and takes a good while to set, and also benefits from a little baking in an oven to finish hardening up properly... but beyond that it has been a breeze to work with in adding color and other additives.

If you do NOT have a pressure pot or vacuum chamber setup, then go with the slow set ... make sure you vibrate it a good while to get all the bubbles out that you can, and the slower set time should also allow for those bubbles to perk out and escape to the surface where they won't bother you during turning.

jkeith

First question would be, do you have a pressure pot?

The clear slow is primarily made for larger castings to help prevent the heat generated from curing causing cracks. Regular clear was developed specifically for pen blanks.

I use regular clear for the majority of my castings. 7 minutes doesn't sound like a lot of time but after my first couple of attempts, I found myself with more than enough time to mix, pour and get into the pot. I usually mix my mica or dye into one part first then mix the two parts together. You can get it out of the pot and demold it quicker as well.

If you don't have a pressure pot you might want to look into an epoxy resin like Royal Palm or Liquid Diamonds, you get a ton of working time and no pressure necessary. I have all 3 resins and haven't noticed any major odors with any of them.

Talltim

Thanks for your answers. Yes we do have a newly acquired pressure pot.

I had hear that if you are doing useless wood and other things that slow helped keeping bubbles out.

The smell I was referring to was while turning.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I use regular Alumilite Clear with good success. I set a 7 minute timer to help keep me moving. Originally I mixed my dye or powder into one part before mixing. But, as my mixes became more complex and with some colors, I did not get a thorough enough mix and the resin did not set properly. After a couple of those, I started adding the dye and/or powder after mixing to ensure a thorough mix and everything is back to normal. You will find you get a method and pace which allows 7 minutes to normally be plenty of time.

Kenny Durrant

I like the slow and that's all I use. I used the regular at first and switched when I found the slow formula. The only difference I saw was the extra working time. I use a candle warmer to warm the B side of the resin and when needed I mix he dye in part B while warming. The B side is pretty thick so I like to warm it some to thin it out. When I'm ready to pour I add part A stir and pour.

jkeith

If you really need more working time with regular clear, you can put part A (and only part A) in the refrigerator and get about 10 extra minutes of working time.

Top Bottom