Alumilite curing question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottb

How long do you wait after casting a blank to turn and polish the finished pen? I know it can be removed after 18-24 hours, but will you get better results on polishing if you allow a full cure of seven days before turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I usually wait 24 hours minimum before turning. Alumilite is a little harder to polish, so waiting a few days wouldn't hurt. While a week won't hurt, I don't think it's necessary.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Not sure where you got 18-24 hours to remove the blanks. I am guessing you are referring to removing them from the PP? If so, I take mine out in 20 minutes and never have an issue. This is using Alumilite Clear which is the recommended Alumilite for what we do.

Scottb

Not sure where you got 18-24 hours to remove the blanks. I am guessing you are referring to removing them from the PP? If so, I take mine out in 20 minutes and never have an issue. This is using Alumilite Clear which is the recommended Alumilite for what we do.

OK, on that note, do you measure your alumilite by volume or by weight? I have been doing it by volume and utilizing those little measuring cups that are better suited for cough medicine is a mess. I hate cleaning them up after each use.

I have been using that Amazing Clear alumilite up until I read the post on here about the right one to use...

I do plan on making an order with you real soon.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Amazing Clear Cast is an epoxy rather than a urethane. Now I understand why you were doing 18-24 hours. It takes a lot longer to cure and is too soft for turning, IMO. It can also be done by volume so you were fine there. With Alumilite Clear, it must be done by weight to get the right results. Part B is more dense than Part A. When you get your resin, Part A will be fuller in the bottle than B. If you go by volume, you will skew the ratio and may not get the correct results.

Top Bottom