Alumilite clear shelf life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BillS

Being new to casting I am wondering if some experienced users could share their Alumilite shelf life experiences. I have a heated shop so freezing temps are not an issue and I am using Clear Slow. On the instructions that come with the Alumilite it states that there is a 3 month shelf life. Should you purchase quantities that you are sure you will use within 3 months or can you expect longer shelf life? I was at a recent seminar where the presented said it was good up to a year but before I invest in larger quantities I am wondering what others experiences are.
Thanks for your help,
Bill

bmachin

The 3 month shelf life is very conservative, and I wouldn't want to try to guess at an upper limit, but I can give you some hints:

Keep it in the dark, keep it dry, keep it cool, and keep air out of the bottle. Your best bet is to decant what you will be using in the near future into small bottles and blanket your large storage bottles with canned air or Bloxygen.

This article is really long, but has a lot of good information on casting with urethane resins.

Guerrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting

Hope this helps,

Bill

lorbay

Well this is no word of a lie but I have some that is 8 years old and I am still using it. Part B is like gello now but when I put it in a bath of hot water it's just fine. So there is a kudo for Alumilite even if they do have a shelf life.
Lin

BillS

Thanks for the info and for the article link. It was very helpful. I was hesitant to buy the larger quantity of Alumilite not knowing how much I would use in 3 months but now I am more confident.

Top Bottom