Alumilite Clear Decal Cating Process?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jimmykoko2

I just purchased some decal paper and want to cast some pen blanks with decals using alumilite but need some help with the step by step process. Thanks Jim

Last edited:

Skie_M

Ok ... first, you'll want a blank to put your decal on. This will be much smaller than the finished blank, but you'll want it to be a solid color so that you don't see the brass tube ...

You can take an existing opaque blank or just do some small pours. They don't need to be perfect, they just need to encase the brass tube and be a millimeter thick or so.

Next, turn it smooth and finish it ... remember that anyplace your decal won't cover will show this surface.

Next, apply your decal to this surface and seal it. I hear that CA doesn't play well with alumilite, so you could try some mod podge or some clear epoxy .... allow it to cure, and polish the surface so that there are no visible defects.

Next, cast your pre-finished blank in the clear alumilite.

Side note: I've never done any of this, just applied decals to the surface of a finished blank. This is just the method I worked out, thinking about how to do what you're wanting to do several months ago.

If you are wanting very exact details, ask LadyCop ... she does exactly what you're wanting to do. :)

longbeard

Ok ... first, you'll want a blank to put your decal on. This will be much smaller than the finished blank, but you'll want it to be a solid color so that you don't see the brass tube ...

You can take an existing opaque blank or just do some small pours. They don't need to be perfect, they just need to encase the brass tube and be a millimeter thick or so.

Next, turn it smooth and finish it ... remember that anyplace your decal won't cover will show this surface.

Next, apply your decal to this surface and seal it. I hear that CA doesn't play well with alumilite, so you could try some mod podge or some clear epoxy .... allow it to cure, and polish the surface so that there are no visible defects.

Next, cast your pre-finished blank in the clear alumilite.

Side note: I've never done any of this, just applied decals to the surface of a finished blank. This is just the method I worked out, thinking about how to do what you're wanting to do several months ago.

If you are wanting very exact details, ask LadyCop ... she does exactly what you're wanting to do. :)

And I print those decals using a inkjet printer.
She can explain her process of applying them and sealing them.

Harry

Top Bottom