alumilite ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robdogtn

well I wish I could help you guys as much as I get from reading this forum for answers. Maybe after more years of playing I can help someone starting out.

anyway, I have tried a couple blanks and my results are not what I was expecting. I am wanting to cast resin in a chulla castus. So, I have a mold I have made and have done several blanks with and it does fine. However, when I put something in the resin, like the cactus, I get millions of very fine microscopic bubbles around the wood only. I have a pressure pot, but so far with my 3 experimental pours the pressure isn't affecting the bubbles. I can do no wood at all the the blanks come out great. I tried heating my resin the last time hoping it would flow better around the wood, but I got it too warm and it basically setup as soon as it hit the wood. Still had bubbles also.

I had done a couple blanks with other objects and casting resin from Hobby Lobby and had no issues. But hearing everyone talk about alumilite I had to try. I like everything so far, but need to get over this bubble thing before my wife cuts me off.......:smile-big:

I am hoping to get some cactus pens out for Christmas presents, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike8850

It sounds like your cactus is not really dry. When I cast cactus I first put it in a toaster oven at the low setting to make sure it's dry. Alumilite does not get along with moisture.
Mike

robdogtn

awesome

:biggrin:

worked like a champ, I did 180 for 1 hr and looks great. I will have something to turn when I get home tonight..

Thanks guys

Top Bottom