alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

I like it too buy it is too hard to get it out of the PVC pipe and I have mold making stuff coming so I will be making my own molds to cast pen blanks and bottle stoppers. It seems to work great with the silicone molds and I have a little cup that is silicone and it came right out of that cup so next payday I will try the PR resin in the pvc pipes to see how that will go... Good luck with your blanks... Fay

TBCbushings

Ok I poured two blanks and they turned out really nice. The third one I poured today turned out like skim milk! I know moisture is a problem with Alumilite but I had no water around....UGH! How did it happen? Very frustrated.....Just a note. I did only mixed up 1 ounce of alumilite. Is there a minimum amount? The first time I mixed 3 oz and worked out great....
Brian

Last edited:

Abby

I haven't used alumilite yet (but that's coming). But with the clear casting resin I use, I mix mineral spirits and petroleum jelly (about 50/50) and paint the sides of the mold. The mineral spirits evaporates, leaving a slight film of petroleum jelly on the mold. Works well with casting resin but cannot say for alumilite.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ok I poured two blanks and they turned out really nice. The third one I poured today turned out like skim milk! I know moisture is a problem with Alumilite but I had no water around....UGH! How did it happen? Very frustrated.....Just a note. I did only mixed up 1 ounce of alumilite. Is there a minimum amount? The first time I mixed 3 oz and worked out great....
Brian

If you are going to use such a small amount, I recommend warming your molds before pouring. One oz is borderline not enough. For one, if you are off just a little on the ratio, it makes a big difference on a small pour. Also, a small pour does not generate enough heat of its own, thus the recommendation of heating the mold.

TBCbushings

Ok third attempt with alumilite I warmed the mold up and this is the result. I was about ready to give up on alumilite but now I think I have it down. I really like the way alumilite cures.

ForumRunner_20150320_190528.png

daaveyboy

Hi all
Can anybody tell me where I can buy alumilite in the UK.
I have just tried with Clear Polyester Casting Resin with a pressure pot and it was still runny after 24 hours ( I don't think I had enough catalyst in it)
Many thanks

seamus7227

I want to know though, once you turn it, do you see any snowflakes on the tube? Also, which alumilite did you use. I tried the water clear and had mixed results

Lewiscostley

i'm getting snow flakes on mine. What's causing it? I've tried sealing the blanks and casting with out sealing. Some turn out fine, while others have the flakes.

Marko50

With Alumilite, you must use a sealer that is polyurethane based due to the fact that the Alumilite is polyurethane based.

...just my .02¢

Top Bottom