Alternatives to Cactus Juice? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 33

Because you are new and you are from California we will forgive you, but in order to prove your repentance you most stabilize some blanks and send them to those who answered your post!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Head Moderator

Photos: 18

No worries, sir! I did not take it as anything more than a fellow penmaker asking a question! Please let me know how I can help you get the most out of your stabilizing! I am on vacation in Washington, DC until Monday, 5/30 so may not be able to answer until then but will certainly help you in any way I can. Feel free to give me a call one day next week if you need to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwear View Post
Hey Mesquite Man,

Please don't take my questions about this as an affront. After all the research I have done and all the responses from IAP members, I get it. I made an order a couple of days ago. I'm new to penmaking, blank stabilizing, etc. and new to this forum too, so please excuse my ignorance. I look forward to trying out cactus juice for the first time. Thanks for chiming in. -- Jeff

The original, affordable home stabilizing solution!
Now available exclusively from TurnTex...Alumilite Clear and White in 1 gallon kits (1/2 Gal A&B)
www.TurnTex.com

Last edited by MesquiteMan; 05-24-2016 at 10:21 PM.
MesquiteMan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-Nieves View Post
Because you are new and you are from California we will forgive you, but in order to prove your repentance you most stabilize some blanks and send them to those who answered your post!
Do you have manzanita in PR? It's pretty rare here and protected. I just got a hold of some manzanita and manzanita root burl because a homeowner graded his road and tore out a bunch of it and pushed it to the side of the road (so not illegal for me to pick it up). Can you picture my car with all the branches sticking out of ALL of my windows driving home? ;-) Anyway I made a few blanks. They're so dense I don't think they need any stabilization. PM me your mailing address and I will send you one.
thunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteMan View Post
No worries, sir! I did not take it as anything more than a fellow penmaker asking a question! Please let me know how I can help you get the most out of your stabilizing! I am on vacation in Washington, DC until Monday, 5/30 so may not be able to answer until then but will certainly help you in any way I can. Feel free to give me a call one day next week if you need to!

Quote:
Hey Mesquite Man,

Please don't take my questions about this as an affront. After all the research I have done and all the responses from IAP members, I get it. I made an order a couple of days ago. I'm new to penmaking, blank stabilizing, etc. and new to this forum too, so please excuse my ignorance. I look forward to trying out cactus juice for the first time. Thanks for chiming in. -- Jeff
Thanks Curtis. Hope you have a good vacation.
thunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Doing 20 to 30 blanks a week / month I finally ran out of my 2 gallons of CJ that I bought 2 years ago, and yes it was still working on some very punky wood, so ... how is this stuff expensive, so much is reusable time after time, depending on the type of wood that you are trying to stabilize, you have no waste. If you took trash wood and then sold the blanks for $1.00 each you could easily pay for a gallon of CJ and still have leftover Juice.
hcpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-Nieves View Post
Do you have manzanita in PR? It's pretty rare here and protected. I just got a hold of some manzanita and manzanita root burl because a homeowner graded his road and tore out a bunch of it and pushed it to the side of the road (so not illegal for me to pick it up). Can you picture my car with all the branches sticking out of ALL of my windows driving home? ;-) Anyway I made a few blanks. They're so dense I don't think they need any stabilization. PM me your mailing address and I will send you one.
No we dont Have Manzanita but we do have many interesting woods Maderas de Puerto Rico this link is in Spanish but the philums are there so you can look them up in Wikipedia.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Cactus Juice might SEEM expensive but you can stabilize a large amount of material with a gallon of the stuff. One thing you get with cactus juice is Curtis and his vast knowledge which he will freely and gladly share with you. How good is Curtis to do business with. I bought one of his chambers and during my first stabilization the heat in my shop rose (no fault of the stabilization process) to a quite high level. The Cactus juice set in the chamber. I sent Curtis an email explaining what happened and he called me back to explain what might have happened. This event was not the fault of Cactus Juice or the chamber but Curtis insisted on replacing the chamber at no cost. I had to argue with him to allow me to barter some of my expertise the he needed in exchange for the replacement chamber.

Cactus Juice expensive. Not in my book.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Just a quick observation: There is a reason so many different people came out supporting Curtis and his product. Any one guess why?
hubert is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert View Post
Just a quick observation: There is a reason so many different people came out supporting Curtis and his product. Any one guess why?
Just my WAG, but I believe itís because Curtis was the first person (I believe) to market a home stabilization solution and containers for stabilizing. He took the time to work out the method and share it with others. Several other companies came later, but basically followed his methodology. Curtis is also very customer service oriented. If you have problems or questions, you can usually contact him late at night and on weekends when others are closed and donít answer their phone. Lastly, Curtis has been a member here for years and we like to support our members.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert View Post
because Curtis loves Fly fishing?