Alternate dyes for Alumilite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

Hello folks. I'm curious to know if those of you who cast with Alumilite use any other dyes other than those offered from Alumilite. I have done some experimenting with mixing primary colors and such but have yet to get those brilliant colors I'm seeking.

What works best and what other manufactures offer a larger selection of dyes?

Thanks in advance to any and all comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Just to clarify Mark, are you looking for dye straight coloring or a pearl-ex powder for a metallic/glittery style?

Marko50

Just to clarify Mark, are you looking for dye straight coloring or a pearl-ex powder for a metallic/glittery style?

I use the pearl-ex powders and alumilite powders too. I'm just wondering how to get those awesome "cobalt blue" and deep turquoise type colors across the color spectrum. Is it just a matter of combining the liquid dyes and pearl-ex powders to get those truly amazing colors? For example:

Attachments

• Amalgum mutts.jpg
    Amalgum mutts.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3,014

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Is it just a matter of combining the liquid dyes and pearl-ex powders to get those truly amazing colors? For example:

YES. You can do all of that with the Alumilite dyes. I have never understood why anyone would want to use other dyes. Alumilite dyes are made to properly crosslink with the urethane and the price is cheaper than most other dyes.

Marko50

Is it just a matter of combining the liquid dyes and pearl-ex powders to get those truly amazing colors? For example:

YES. You can do all of that with the Alumilite dyes. I have never understood why anyone would want to use other dyes. Alumilite dyes are made to properly crosslink with the urethane and the price is cheaper than most other dyes.

Thanks Curtis. I've got to start keeping a log, or "recipe" book so when I do get the colors I want I can duplicate it! Do you happen to know how to get that bright Cobalt blue? I use Alumilite liquid dyes exclusively.

HamTurns

Mark - You can get that same look with what you have on hand.

I use only Alumilite dyes and powders, and have gotten those color mixes consistantly. You've already struck on the need to keep a log. I started keeping a log with my first casting, it makes it a lot easier to reproduce the casting if you like it.

The one you've got pictured looks like a three color mix;
1) Dark blue base
2) Light blue w/pearl
3) Purple(equal red & blue liquid) w/a small amount of pearl

When I see a casting I like I try to break it down to how many colors it has, what color is the base and what color(s) are the accent(s). Then you'll need to break down the volumes of each. For a three color casting like you got a picture of the base looks like 2/3 of the over all pour, leaving the accents to about 1/3 each, of the over all volume. Then after you've poured the three colors into the mold you'll need to "swirl" them with a stick or something. Of course that swirling is a lot easier in a flat mold like those castings came from.

I hope this helps.

Happy turning

Marko50

Thanks Tom! Very helpful tips. All of it helps in my quest to not waste too much material!

HamTurns

Thanks Tom! Very helpful tips. All of it helps in my quest to not waste too much material!

I hear you there Mark, I have been making quite a few Duck calls from my castings lately and am thinking about making a silicone mold for them in order to use less resin.

I don't know if it will be the same this year, but last February Alumilite joined the month long festivities here at IAP and gave us members a 20% discount. So if that's how it works out this year you may be able to save some cash. Last year I bought a 2 gallon set at the start of Feb and another 2 gallon set at the end of Feb. I didn't start to use the last set until Oct., and when I did I used Bloxigen (sp?) in the remaining resin in the bottles. Both bottles are still going well, Bloxigen really works.

Happy turning

Sylvanite

I have never understood why anyone would want to use other dyes.
I've had some problems with Alumilite dyes not being colorfast. That is, a few colors (especially red) fade over time and with exposure to light. If someone else sold a more uv-resistant dye, then I'd try it.

Of course, I'd prefer that Alumilite develop dyes that hold their color.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom