Are All CA Glues The Same?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

barrels

I have not found any difference between CA glues in general principal, but there are different thickneses as well as different dry times.
Here is a good link for a place to buy as well research different formulas.

http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html

Eric

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't know what the difference is but in my first year of making pens with CA finish (Part in the US and part here in Japan), I used locally purchased 1 oz or thereabout sizes. I don't know if I were just new or if there was a difference, but I had far more "white" and "cloudy" spots. With hobby shop purchased larger bottles and finally from Monty, I have not had the problems.

I have been building gas powered balsa planes since the early '60s and using CA from almost the beginning of when it went on sale; I have been doing flatwork WW since the late '50s as a kid. So I am not new to finishes and glues. It took me a year and a half to perfect the CA application and do it consistently. One great step for me was changing from the local hardware small bottles to model and pen size application bottles.

The difference could have been the age of smaller bottles. But it seems to me to be of different quality.

bgray

The link to WoodenWonders above is where I've always bought my CA.

It's the cheapest that I've found, and Monty gets the orders out fast.

I really don't think that there's any real difference in CA's. At one point, I went to the drugstore, and just bought some standard super-glue because I was in a pinch. It worked just fine.

ahoiberg

all the ca you find with the different pen turning sites is the same stuff. the key component is ethyl cyanoacrylate and i'm not sure what they add to thin it, but i'm sure it's the same across the board as well.

monty's the man for ca glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom