Air-Dry Clay for blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

We go to Hobby Lobby to see what they have on sale. SWMBO checks out the fabric section while I go the clearance area. I saw a display in one aisle for Crayola Air-Dry Clay. It says no baking and dries hard. Would this be something for pen blanks? Just curious. Thanks for your help.
Edit: Disclaimer- Handling and care information:
Store unused clay in an airtight container. Do not store clay to which water has been added. Keep finished product away from open flame. Do not mold into candleholders or other like items for use around flame. Do not put in oven, microwave or kiln. Do not allow finished pieces to come into contact with food or liquids.
Kind of eliminates it for blanks, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

If it dries hard its a candidate. Does it shrink as it dries? That would cause problems for tube wrapped designs, and drying a block for drilling might crack. If its pretty cheap get some and try it on a slimline and have fun experimenting!

chartle

It depends on how "dries". If its like regular clay it will shrink. So if you wrap it around a tube, once dry it will be too short and probably crack.

It may harden like sugru where it cures when exposed to air. I wouldn't invest too much money before a test.

Woodchipper

I could buy a container, try it for a couple of blanks. Let it dry thoroughly, drill it and turn it to see what happens. If it proves to be a disaster, I'll give it to the grandkids.

Gary Beasley

I would roll some "snakes" and let them dry, then you can drill them out in a pen vice. It would be easy to twist several colors together in that fashion.

Woodchipper

SWMBO went to Hobby Lobby and checked the Crayola container. First, they only carry white or terra cotta colors. Second, it can be painted but nothing about mixing anything to change the white color. Scratched it off the list of potential blank materials.

Top Bottom