air bubbles with casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Les M

I need help with castings getting numerous air bubbles. I have always used air pressure and I tried these casting materials from Polytek, Kraft, and Turtle Feathers. I am trying to cast with coal dust and Inlace (black dye) from Turtle Feathers, I have used PVC and pink rubber molds.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the IAP! Just a guess.... I'll bet there are gases in that coal dust that, are released when the resin heats up.

mike4066

Les,

Welcome to IAP. While you are here check out the Ohio forum. Some of us in the area get together every couple months, usually at Hartville Hardware. The next meeting looks like it's going to be in February.

I've never tried coal, unless that is an auto correct from Gold.

Have you done successful casts before, and is this a new issue since trying to do the new pigments?
Have you tried just a clear cast with no additives/pigments to see how its comes out? 1-2 sample runs of just clear castings is worth the time spent to know that you have it right before adding more variables.
Are you using Polyester Resin, if so how many drops of catalyst are you using?

We need a bit more information to help get to the bottom of the issue.

Mike.

Last edited:

Les M

Mike: I get bubbles with clear. The vender had me increase the number of drops to get hardening,
Do you belong to BWWT?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Chuck: The coal gas might intensive the bubbles as I get bubbles with clear,
Les
Got it. It was a wrong guess. What's a BWWT?

Buckeye Woodturners. An AAW group of fantastic turners out of Southern Akron/Canton.

Two groups in Northern Ohio: Buckeye and NCWT (North Coast Woodturners). Both have wonderful woodturners; helpful, friendly, serve bagels/donuts... Yum!

Philip E

Just checking out this post and I too have had issues with massive amount of air bubbles forming that were not there when I originally poured the blank. One thing here that caught my eye was that Les was told to increase the harder/catalyst. Did this work?

Top Bottom