Advice on Vacuum chamber and pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wim Tienhoven

Hi all,

I am from the Netherlands and mostly reading on this great forum. Pen making is so much more professional in The States opposed to Europe, especially when you look at things like casting your own blanks or stabilizing.

As its hard for me to find the right information even after reading loads of topics and looking at Youtube videos (I am used to metric system and pressure and also there are a lot of different opinions on the internet regarding vacuum pots etc)) i would like to ask some advice on a piece of affordable equipment which i found. But perhaps it aint sufficient enough with pressure etc.

This is what i found:

HTB10_Jt_LXXXXXc7_XVXXq6x_XFXXXz.jpg

The description with technical info:

This listing is for a 5 gallon LAB1ST brand stainless steel vacuum chamber kit with 2.2 CFM (1L/s) 220V vacuum pump. The pump comes with a Australian/Chinese standard plug, as well as a free plug adapter for other standards (Germany, UK, Switzerland). It's in stock and ready to ship from Shanghai.

We ship the pump without pump oil, which is strictly prohibited by international air freight. You will need about 250mL vacuum pump oil.
While working with our vacuum chambers, this light-weight vacuum pump can evacuate the chamber to better than -26 inHg (-0.88 bar). Please refer to other listings if you need a stronger pump.

Any help would be appreciated, greetings Wim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wim Tienhoven

In addition, i just bought a pressure cookeron the Dutch Ebay a few minutes ago which was converted into a vacuum chamber for a decent price. Now i need to put on a gauge and a pump. The pan is about 1,3 gallon.

How much power does the pump need for stabilizing and/or casting blanks?

Last edited:

stonepecker

You stablize with a vacuum chanber.
You cast with a pressure pot.

Welcome to the IAP.
You will find loads of information in the library. You tube is good for watching but to get the numbers it is best to find them and write them down.
What you show in the picture is a vacuum set-up. Looks like a good one. Personally, I got mine from Exotic Blanks. Mr Ed Brown has lots of information he is willing to share about the one they sell.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Wim Tienhoven

Thanks for your welcome and the information.

Question reagarding the pump, would a pump with this capacity be sufficient for as well stabilizing as for casting with a 1.3 gallon pot/chamber?

Nominal displacement: M3/h 2,5
Ultimate Pressure: 0,1 mbar
Motorpower: 200 Watt
Oil capacity: 300 ml
Weight: 6.3KG

$_85.JPG

stonepecker

As long as you can get a 'seal' .... any decent pump will empty the contaier.
The size of the pump will decide how fast the air is removed.

Realize that you are NOT removing that much air. Unless your container is masive and your pump is very small.........everything should work.

There are several articals in the Library that should be of help to you.

Top Bottom