Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

I just finished a few stoppers and thought I would share my process and results.

My mold of choice for these was my next door neighbors empty pill bottles. I measured the amount of Silmar 41 and poured it into the pill bottle. I then filled a pyrex measuring cup with 1 cup of water and heated it for 2 minutes in the microwave. The pill bottle was then placed partially into the water and I stirred it for 60 seconds...just until the viscosity was brought down to the consistency of water. I then added 4 drops of MEKP per ounce and proceeded to then next step.

For the shredded money, I found it easier to put the money in a bottle and pour the resin over it. It also seems to be more interesting the less dense you pack the cash. The gold leaf was put in after the resin and just pressing it down with a stir stick worked really well. The egg shaped gold leaf stopper also has some mica powder in it.

I probably could have gotten away without pressure, but it was available so I put them in the pot for about 1/2 hour at 40 psi. When they were removed, they were very warm. I waited until they cooled...about an hour...and then drilled, tapped and turned them. Start to finish on this set was about 3 hours.

Attachments

• 1 2 3 4.jpg
    1 2 3 4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 513
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

Hi
I know Im over the pond but can you show us these pill bottles please
willie

Willie,

Attached is a picture of a pill bottle along side some stoppers for you to get the idea of size. I just cut off the top portion of the pill bottle so I have straight edges and once the PR has set up, they just slide right out. Sometimes there isn't enough "shrinkage" and I have to cut the bottle with the band saw to get them out...but at the rate my neighbor's are popping pills, I don't think I have to worry about running out of my supply!

Jim

Attachments

• Pill Bottle.JPG
    Pill Bottle.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 294

PTsideshow

Here are some other style of pill vials that are used in the US. The two cut off one on the right are supplement/vitamin bottles.
DSCF0002-3_zps4b432325.jpg

Drilling a small hole in the bottom will allow you to use a puff of air from a compressor to move the blank slug out of the bottle most times. you can use painters/duct tape to cover the hole when pouring.
:clown:

Top Bottom