abalone shell pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Donna and welcome to the site. Hope you stick around and have fun here.

Unfortunately the question you are asking is something dear to a few people here that do them. They are a money maker for them and divulging their secrets is probably not going to happen.

Not that this is overly hard to pick up but there are some tricks of the trade as they say. If you do a search of the forums here you maybe able to piece enough info together to come up with a plan.

I will tell you this if you plan on doing this the dust is cancer causing so be aware. Especially if working with pure abalone. There are some people here that have done the crushed material method but most do the strip method. They do sell material that has a coating layered on it and makes it more flexible. Having a method to cut the strips clean and many times people actually bevel the edges to make the seems more invisible is probably the big keys to this. Adhering them is also something that gets overlooked. Getting the size of the strips is another challenge.

As I said do some searching in the forums here and you will be able to piece things together. Good luck.

magpens

You can buy abalone veneer on eBay. I hesitated mentioning that earlier because I don't know if that abalone is authentic.

mjbarry21

I remember seeing a how to article written by Barry Gross in a PSI catalog. It was a casting how to but he used abalone. Don't know if they have an article archive on their website. Maybe Barry does at Arizona Sil.

donnapresley

thanks so much yes this all helps and i dont want it to sell the blanks just wanted to make my own blank for me a pen. I do understand that most might not want to share because it is a business for them. Thanks for all the help and i will do more research. I have found that need to wear protection for eyes and lungs. just wasnt sure if needed to use strips or pieces or crushed and what the look would be and would rather just do 1 and not 3 to see the difference.

MartinPens

Go to YouTube and search the phrase "Grinding whole mother of pearl shells into usable inlay blanks." With the dust, the smell, and the risks I certainly prefer to buy the blanks rather than what this young man is doing.

Top Bottom