9 coon-tail blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The western diamond back is often called the coon-tail rattlesnake because of the black/white striped tail just above the rattles. One section per snake. Likewise the timber rattlesnake is nik-named the velvet tail because of its black velvet section is skin just above the rattles. Enjoy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 20180508_121305.jpg
    20180508_121305.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 464
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

Beautiful blanks! I haven't tried Liquid Diamonds, mostly due to the $$. If you don't mind what advantages do you see over PR?

its_virgil

Pros and cons: No odor at all, easy to use, very few failures if any, two part mix at 2:1 ratio by weight, mold release, no shrinkage, pressure pot needed, cost, longer cure time,

I have now made over 100 snake blanks with no failures except the two I made without pressure to see what would happen.

Don

Beautiful blanks! I haven't tried Liquid Diamonds, mostly due to the $$. If you don't mind what advantages do you see over PR?

Terredax

Banned

That's not a fair comparison, with one being polyester and the other being epoxy.
If you are just wanting to know if epoxy is better, it's going to depend on the intended purpose.
Most epoxies are low odor and the good epoxies are more expensive. A low viscosity is the key to air inclusions, but heat over the surface will remove most of that. Alcohol can also be spritzed to help with evacuation of air.

its_virgil

I think I answered the question that was asked. I know one is an epoxy and one is a polyester resin. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I am loving using liquid diamonds. I may not return to using poly resin for snake skin casting. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Rolandranch

Very cool blanks! Those must've been fairly large snakes. The tails are usually too small on the snakes we get.

Thank you for the sharing the information about Liquid Diamonds. I think I'll have to give it a try.

Top Bottom