3-D effect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

This is difficult to photograph, for me at least. :biggrin:
I was trying for a 3-D effect on these. The clay segments are proud of the base and it is cast in clear resin. I like how it looks, except for the tiny bubbles:mad:
Maybe I should do one with little fishes, then the bubbles will look like a special effect!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 3d_PC.jpg
    3d_PC.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 228
Dale if you want to accentuate the 3d effect you could incorporate a layer or two of translucent clay in between cane slices. This will make some of the designs appear closer or further from the surface. It may be hard to achieve on a kit where you don't have a lot of "meat" on the blank since you have to leave it short of the finished diameter for casting.

Good luck!

Dale Allen

Keith, I don't think I could roll the clay that thin. This base is about as thin as I can go and I still cannot slice the cane really thin.
Also, I've tried using translucent clay and I don't much like it. It looks like a cloudy clear resin mistake to me. It has some purpose when mixed with other colors but not by itself. I've also tried fimo gel and kato clear medium. They end up more clear but you cannot layer them.
I wonder if it is possible to use either of those as a cast medium. It would be really expensive and may not turn very well after curing. And it would not be as clear as a water clear resin.
I'll still try to get the Alumilite to work because around here this time of year I cannot do PR outside.

edstreet

3d effects is obtained via several methods. You have to look at the eyes and perception to see what blending need to be done for best effects of warm and cold colors. I will give you a big hint tho, think backwards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom