2 Layer Alumilite Casting ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

I recently tried to make two Alumilite bottle stopper blanks with colored lower sections and an imbedded stone surrounded by clear at the top. The clear portions were poured immediately after curing the lower portions for about 60 minutes in the pressure pot. When I removed the blanks everything seemed okay, but when turning on the lathe, one blank started to separate and the second blank failed completely at the interface. I was applying slight pressure with a cushioned cup on the tailstock live center as I gently turned it.

Is there a secret to multi section casting with Alumilite clear, or is this type of casting better suited for PR?

its_virgil

I think you answered your own question.
Don

I recently tried to make two Alumilite bottle stopper blanks with colored lower sections and an imbedded stone surrounded by clear at the top. The clear portions were poured immediately after curing the lower portions for about 60 minutes in the pressure pot. When I removed the blanks everything seemed okay, but when turning on the lathe, one blank started to separate and the second blank failed completely at the interface. I was applying slight pressure with a cushioned cup on the tailstock live center as I gently turned it.

Is there a secret to multi section casting with Alumilite clear, or is this type of casting better suited for PR?

Top Bottom