"label lift" and first cast (kinda long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

my first cast was relatively successful, no bubbles to be found, turned like butter and the tube stayed put during the turn. i did have a few chunks fly out while turning, which really surprised me giving how easily the rest of it was turning, but i patched up the bad one with CA and it still came out looking good. the odd part was when i was done polishing it up and such, i noticed a little bump. it was where the seam of the label was and i'm wondering if anyone else has had the label lift like this on them? i assume it lifted while it was curing and i just happened to notice it once all was said and done.

also, just to report, i used the "lesser" avery labels (the cheaper ones), the 18163 (2" x 4") cut down to size and designed on microsoft publisher to dimensions i took of the sierra tube. i bought both kinds of labels, the aforementioned ones and the 8253 (expensive, same size, supposedly for color) and wanted to try the cheapos before i decided to keep the expensive ones. i was pretty happy with the performance of the cheap one.

here's a slew of pictures from the process:

1) label lift:
liftinglabel.jpg

2) ice cylinder tray and cured blank:
circleblank-black.jpg

3) one side of the pen:
freddyblack.jpg

the other side of the pen is white with my brother's name on it, you can get the idea from the label lift close-up. and, don't worry, i'm not going to sell these with the timberwolves logo on them, this is a gift for my brother.

i feel like i've rediscovered penturning again, this casting business is fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charles

Guys, guess I missed the boat when you all started these. Can you tell me how you are preparing the labels. ie are you gluing the label around the tube then casting as in a snake skin casting or some other way, ie around a piece of dowel and then drilling??

ahoiberg

charles, i just printed it on an avery label (avery 18163) and stuck it to a tube that had been painted white beforehand. after that's done, just plug up the ends of the tube with dowels or cork/rubber stoppers or something and cast away. i used the circular ice cube trays from walmart. you might have to put some weight in the tube so it won't float on you. or you can do what i did and put a toothpick in the middle and set your needlenose pliers on top to hold it in there... :D i forgot to put weight in it and had to improvise. then, just bandsaw off the plugs about 1/8" from the tube opening and clear out the remainder of the plug, barrel trim to the tube and you're ready to turn.

edit in: supposedly the higher quality avery labels work better, the 825* series. i bought the 8253 but haven't tried them, stevers and others can vouch for them.

Charles

Thanks, yes I have the walmart casting tube/ice trays and have cast dozens of snake skins and I thought it was similar but wanted to ask. Thanks for replying and I will give this a try on next casting!

ahoiberg

charles, i just saw that desk set you made, did you cast that snake and the pebbles yourself? if so, great job! how did you accomplish that, did you have to do multiple layers so it didn't float?

Top Bottom