Auction - Baobab Fiber Blank - COMPLETED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to the generosity of [profile]JohnU[/profile] and [profile]Mark James[/profile], we have a very rare and interesting set of blanks up for auction. These blanks contain the fiber of the Baobab tree, which I understand comes from underneath the bark. This fiber is apparently very rare, and not something available in the US. Mark received this from a member in Madagascar, and John cast the blanks. These are Broadwell Noveau Sceptre RB/FP sets (red and black clear cast in Silmar 41 poly-resin).

HERE is an interesting discussion about this tree with some good info from the person who provided it to Mark. Perhaps John or Mark can provide more information once the auction opens.

attachment.php

baobab-900.jpg photo 1 arbre Baobab.JPG

View in Gallery

Attachments

• baobab-600.jpg
    baobab-600.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks Jeff and a big thanks to JohnU and Mark James for these rare and unique blanks. So let's get this rolling and start off the bidding at $25.00

Looks like Timber Ripper is hungry for some Poly-Resin for $50.00, Thanks Anthony! Let's see if we've got anymore people out there that want to chew on some PR and bring this up to $75.00.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Some Background Info

As I began to explore segmented pen turning several years ago, I have been fortunate to develop friendships with those who's works I admired. Couture (Philippe) - who's shop is in Madagascar - is one of those vastly talented artists. To make a long story short - we traded pens, materials and blanks. I received several "sheets" of Baobab fiber, with the basic note that I "quite possibly was the only pen turner in this hemisphere to have some." No pressure there:eek:

(And I traded emails just yesterday with Philippe and he still believes these are the only Baobab pen blanks in this hemisphere.)

Previously, 2017, This is what I was able to find out:

Of the nine Baobab species, six are native to Madagascar, two to mainland Africa and, one is native to Australia. They are growing successfully in other areas, and have many uses. Some of the nine species are listed as being endangered, some at a lower risk level, and others have no CITIES listing. While some specific trees and areas are protected, due to the use of the leaves, seeds, fruit and fiber many areas are open to harvesting. I have found no import restrictions for the non endangered species, with both the European Union and USA allowing use as a "food safe product." So while there is an active market for export of Baobab materials - the fiber sheets in this form (what I received) is not restricted or useful; lucky us.

As I have done little casting, there was no way I was going to make any attempts with this material, and gifted some to JohnU to work his magic. I am thrilled with the result and also the fact that it is benefitting IAP.

So, thank you JohnU, AND Couture.

Yes, some very, very special blanks.

Ok well we got $100.00 from some guy in Minnesota..hehe, thanks Wayne! Mark James gave us something to think about with these and Timber Ripper seems like he's really hungry at $125.00, let's see if we can't them up to $175.00

Last edited:
Anthony comes back in with authority at $200.00, when he says good night he meant, good night!! Mal, are there any cross matching kits that would work? Hmm....

Let's see if we have anyone that can challenges Anthony' authority at $250.00.

Cole Roberts

Yep, I do love it. Wife and I both went to Mustang High and OU for college, then moved to St. Louis for a couple years for work, who then moved us to SoCal.....The biggest issue I have now, not a lot of space for shop equipment.

Charlie_W

A turning friend sent this pic last night of a Boabab tree she saw while traveling for work. She didn't or couldn't say what country she was in. It has a 6' diameter trunk......lots of pen blanks!

Attachments

• 76284CCD-CE54-431C-B1DD-BCBFDBDC508A.jpg
    76284CCD-CE54-431C-B1DD-BCBFDBDC508A.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 173

JohnU

Thanks Mark James for trusting and allowing me to take part in the offering of these blanks. Here's a picture I took before I began the casting process. I'll include a small piece of the left over fiber scraps with the blanks so you can see and feel the raw material. The blanks were a 3 day process and a bit trying with the material being stiff and thicker than paper

Thanks and Good Luck to the bidders! As alway, I'll top the box off with a few other blanks.

Attachments

• 24F9D7AF-B3AC-46BA-9680-7733F5B25232.jpg
    24F9D7AF-B3AC-46BA-9680-7733F5B25232.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 197
Okay all, I'm out for the night. Cole Roberts still has the high bid at $225.00. Also, thanks John for giving a little more insight into these blanks. You folks feel free to bring up those bids.

Good morning all. These wonderful and unique blanks are still up for grabs. Cole, is still holding the high bid at $225.00. This auction will close around 6pm CT this evening. Get in and get your chance to own these rare blanks while there's still time!!

This auction is closed. Congrats Cole for the bid of $225.00. Thanks to JohnU and Mark James for these wonderful blanks. Thanks again to both of you.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Cole, thanks for that nice winning bid. I'll send you a PM shortly.

John and Mark, thanks for collaborating to give us these great blanks for auction!

Top Bottom