About DiamondCast Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
attachment.php

Thanks Jeff for opening up the vendor forum for me! I wanted to introduce myself and create a thread that hopefully answers any questions anyone has about the blanks I make.

I've been turning for about 10 years now and along the way had decided that I wanted something to set my pens apart. My mother is a gemologist and having grown up running around in the back rooms of jewelry stores for years I had the idea of integrating diamond into resin blanks. As it turns out, the results are spectacular. Originally I'd planned on just using these for my own pens but after doing a few trades with fellow pen makers and getting positive feedback I decided I'd offer them up for anyone. We're currently patent pending and hope to have that finalized in 2020 to protect the value of the brand for your creations.

Blanks are available in a number of sizes.
Standard Pen Blank (.81" x 6")
Kitless Pen Blank (.722" x 9")
Ring Blank (1.25" x 2.5")
Bottle Stopper (1.5" x 2.5")

We might not have all of the sizes listed on the website but we can certainly make them. Additionally, we do custom orders and have the capability of pouring up to 20" rods. Our resin is mixed in a StateMix VM1000 vortex mixer and heat cured to ensure a consistent machineability and finish.

Questions I often get:
  • Will these dull my tools?
    Not any more than any other alumilite blank. The very fine powder won't hurt HSS or Carbide. I've done a lot of testing in this regard and actually see more wear turning stabilized wood.
  • Do these contain real diamond or some sort of glass pearl?
    These blanks have real diamond in them and come with a certificate stating as much.
  • What resin do you use?
    For the moment all DiamondCast blanks are made from Alumilite. I like the color separation, it works well with the diamond, and the short cure time helps with production. I may experiment with other resins for different properties in the future.
  • Any turning/finishing tips?
    Alumilite is easy to drill and turn. Be sure to paint the inside of the blank after drilling for best results. While my blanks are fairly opaque, it's still a good idea to back paint them. My website specifies prefers colors for each blank to help get you started. After turning you can polish to a shine. However, if you want to REALLY kick up the sparkle a notch, try finishing with CA like you would a wood pen.

Our website is: McKenziePenworks.com but you can also purchase from Turner's Warehouse (http://www.turnerswarehouse.com) and Beaufort Ink (https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/) in the UK.

-Tim McKenzie

Attachments

• diamondcast_logo_500.jpg
    diamondcast_logo_500.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,056
Last edited:

Noot17

Congrats, Tim! I'm excited to see these taking off. All the pens and razor handles I've made from your blanks have gotten a lot of "oohs" and "ahs".

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom