Votes: 39 27.1%
  • Box 6

Votes: 16 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Make sure to vote for 2 of the pen boxes!

Pen Box 1

This box is my first formal try. The top is cherry with paduak inlays, and the bottom and sides are walnut.
I routed out the channel with a round nose bit and used 5mm barrel hinges.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• box 1b.jpeg
    box 1b.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 324
  • box 1a.jpeg
    box 1a.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen Box 2

The making of this pen box was a most enjoyable journey. The description that follows is also presented as a journey, one which this box maker hopes you will also enjoy…

Materials - These materials were brought together to present and protect the finest of pens:

Huanghuali, Bird's Eye Maple, Wenge…all finished in hand rubbed lacquer. Solid brass hinges, Sterling Silver Lotus Blossom, Soft Black Velvet.

Design – Achieving perfection in a pen box is realistically not possible, but it is an elegant objective that pushes the craftsman to his finest work. Having that as my goal exerts many demands of detail. This is how I pursued that elusive objective…

The box clearly expresses Asian influence, appropriate pairing to the primary timber: extremely rare Chinese Haunghuali. ("Extremely rare" is an understatement: today this timber is typically acquired by carefully repurposing fine, intact and expensive furniture from the late Ming dynasty!) The box is modest in size, yet dramatic by its understated charm. It asserts its own presence in a manner that, while not overbearing, does compliment the special pen that it will present and protect. Approaching the box, you experience the mystery afforded by every closed box: "What is concealed here?" Anticipation of something special is conveyed by the elegant, classic lines. The eye is undeniably drawn to the sterling silver lotus blossom. The pen, concealed by this closed box…could it also be made of this incredibly rare Huanghuali?

Open the box! (Sorry to disappoint: contest rules stipulate only a garish "generic pen".) The pen cavity is made to visually 'coddle' a medium size pen in such a way that the pen appears comfortable, not crowded or cramped; fully content in its assigned space. The pen stanchions are such that, as the pen owner opens the box, he or she will sense that the pen is being graciously presented, ready for use. The pen is positioned high within the cavity, achieving a dual purpose. First, it supports the visual aspect just mentioned. Second, grasping the pen is a smooth, flowing undertaking: 'Form' follows 'function'. There is a significant bevel-easing of the upper interior box walls that provide pleasing clearance to facilitate grasping the pen, and returning it when writing is done. Hollowing of the interior roof of the box provides additional clearance to locate the pen as high as possible within the cavity. It is by intent that this precise arrangement demands that the pen be positioned with the clip slightly forward of top center, imposing a visually ideal positioning when the pen is first revealed upon opening the box.

Details make or break when judging or using an item such as this. The forward plane of the box angles back slightly, presenting the central visual object in an appealing manner, drawing from ambient room lighting to accentuate the lotus and its backdrop. Orientation of the prominent, open-grain lines of the Wenge backdrop are at a slight angle off the vertical, suggesting the, nourishing, cleansing rains that maintain the beautiful lotus. This is symbolic of the entire purpose of this pen box. What a fine detail! This description ends with a statement and a challenge: The Golden Mean (ratio, proportion, etc.) is prominently evident in this design. See it?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• box 2a.jpeg
    box 2a.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 326
  • box  2b.jpeg
    box 2b.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 379
  • box 2c.jpeg
    box 2c.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 355

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen Box 3

Walnut live edge pen box. Slots cut using a router and a homemade jig, arrowhead and turquoise powder background cast in PR and slots were flocked with green felt.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• box 3a.jpg
    box 3a.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 310
  • box 3b.jpeg
    box 3b.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 316

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen box 4

This is my entry into the 2018 IAP Bash Pen Box Contest. It is a replica of a Grand Piano. It is a combination pen box and music box. The box was constructed using various tools and jigs. The interior is finished in a Cardinal Red flocking. The keys were cut from pieces of white and black acrylic pen blanks.There is a brass plate behind the keys. The top has a clear plexiglass insert in the center to show off both the pen and also the musical movement that plays Elvis' "Love Me Tender" theme. It plays when the box is open and shuts off when closed as most music boxes do. There are musical themed decals on the top of the glass to enhance it. The box was finished in black lacquer. This was a fun little box for that special pen. Hope you like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• box 4c.jpg
    box 4c.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 768
  • box 4b.jpg
    box 4b.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 758
  • box 4a.jpg
    box 4a.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen box 5

This is my Pen box entry for the 2018 Pen Box contest.

The Ark of the Covenant was the inspiration for this project. The box is built to 1/6th scale of the biblical dimension for the Ark.

The box is made of Poplar and Doll house molding available at any hobby store.

The 4 corner post/legs I turned on the Lathe. The center panel is inlaid into the sides and filled with Gold glitter.

Inside the box are two Tora scrolls hand painted to hold two pens. The entire box is painted with gold paint as the original Ark was plated in gold.

I was unable to find or make anything to use for the Angels on top that did not ruin the looks of the box.

The carry pools are ¼" dowel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen box 5b.jpg
    pen box 5b.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 329
  • pen box 5a.jpg
    pen box 5a.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 275

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen box 6

I made this in 3 sections and assembled after turning; wood was aspen; sanded and painted black

Buttons are pewter beads. Stand is paduak. Top lifts off

Inside is flocked black

Made as graduation present for a friends grand daughter

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen box 6a.jpg
    pen box 6a.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 282
  • pen box 6b.jpg
    pen box 6b.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Pen box 6c.jpg
    Pen box 6c.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 252

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen Box Voting Poll 2

Its time to pick the most awesome pen box for the 2018 Bash.
Pick your favorite, its going to be a tough job. There are some great entries.

Pick your 2 best choices for best pen box.

Last edited:

Rolandranch

I saw the first box and thought "No doubt this is the 1st place winner"...and then I saw the next one and thought "Wow, this one is really nice too"... by the time I got to the bottom, I was too overwhelmed by the amazing craftsmanship and couldn't decide which one to vote for. These are some of the neatest pen boxes I have ever seen! I'll have to sleep on it and decide tomorrow. :sleepy:

Lucky2

I saw the first box and thought "No doubt this is the 1st place winner"...and then I saw the next one and thought "Wow, this one is really nice too"... by the time I got to the bottom, I was too overwhelmed by the amazing craftsmanship and couldn't decide which one to vote for. These are some of the neatest pen boxes I have ever seen! I'll have to sleep on it and decide tomorrow. :sleepy:

Roland, you get to vote for two of them, that might help with being so overwhelmed.
Len

ajollydds

Fabulous craftsmanship! My one request, if a matching pen was made for these boxes, please post the pen with the box once this contest is over. I would love to see the completed product. Bravo to you all!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
They are not allowed to show a pen that would identify them as the maker. A generic pen to show the function is allowed.

stonepecker

They are all wonderful. My heart goes to one and then my eye goes to another.

Wasn't easy by any means. Decided to let both have a choice. Vision got the first pick....took Number _. Then my heart to the second pick....that was Number _!!!

I think they are all winners.

Last edited:

thepenfriend

I understand you can't put a real writing instrument into the boxes but a sharpie definitely does NOT deserve to be in there! ALL of these boxes deserve a high quality writing instrument in them!!! Just saying... :)

Talltim

Now that the votes are over and we know what number box won, do you actually tell who made the winning box? It was very nice craftsmanship and I would be interested. Maybe I just missed where it says.

So far the only winning person I know is from the infamous "Hard to write with" contest.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Winners!

The 3rd place winner of the Pen Box competition, Pen Box # 5
Made by Glenn Berden, (Makerhive)

attachment.php

Glen wins a $50.00 Gift Certificate to R and B crafts.

In 2nd place with Pen Box #4
John Terefenko (JTTHECLOCKMAN)

attachment.php

John wins a $50 Gift certificate to Woodturningz donated byMRducks2
John has asked that any winnings be put back into the Losers Train drawing.

IN First Place, Pen Box #2 made by Steve Guzy, (SteveG)

attachment.php

Steve wins A gift certificate to Exotic Blanks from Edgar $50 and a snake blank set for Jr Gent by Its_virgil $30

Attachments

• pen box 5a.jpg
    pen box 5a.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 365
  • box 4b.jpg
    box 4b.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 387
  • box  2b.jpeg
    box 2b.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The rest of the entries,
Pen Box 1 by Michael Vonderheide. (SpecialV4213)

attachment.php

Pen Box #3 by Cody Walker, (Cwalker)

attachment.php

Pen Box #6 by David Thomas,

attachment.php

Attachments

• box 1a.jpeg
    box 1a.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 360
  • box 3a.jpg
    box 3a.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 365
  • pen box 6a.jpg
    pen box 6a.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 400

Rolandranch

Congratulations Steve, John, and Glenn and to the other contestants!! Beautiful job! Absolutely stunning work by all. I love playing piano and that piano pen box really got my attention and looks like an awful lot of work. I think the Huanghuali box is just stunningly beautiful and will make the ultimate display for any high-end pen. The Ark of the Covenant pen box is also really cool and unique but I think I might be too afraid to open it. :wink:

Congrats to the winners and to all the other contestants!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Well I would like to take a few words to first thank Mr. Redburn for chairing the contest. Job well done. Next I would like to congratulate Steve G for his entry as well as Glenn (Makerhive) for his beautiful entry.

I won this contest last year by a few votes and probable should not have but I got to wear the crown for a year. And after my win I told everyone I was coming back this year with my "A" game entry and I feel I did just that with my Piano entry. I challenged all to join the arena and bring your "A" game. Well I have to say 5 members took up my challenge and did just that, brought their "A" game and the proof is in the photos. Every entry was a piece of art that each person can be very proud of and you understood that thinking outside the proverbial box is a good thing and that special pen deserves that special box. Each came with an idea of what a special box looks like. All should definitely take a bow for sure because we made it tough for the voters.

A couple more things. Just a note about my choice of entry. When I enter this contest I like to have a theme in mind. Last year Billiards and this year music. I will at some time make the pen that fits this box as well as my last years entry. I have 2 pen ideas in mind but I am currently working on techniques to complete these ideas which as of right now I have not mastered but will for sure and I will post with the box when done for sure. I hope the other contestants do the same with their boxes and make that special pen designed especially for the box they made. This makes a complete statement about the box. To address the sharpie issue, it is what is required. I will post some photos in my album of a finished pen in the box but as I said it is not the one that will be permanent.

Lastly I think we have proven to not only Mredburn and the other committee members that this contest is alive and well and belongs as a consistent contest here in this Bash arena. And also have to say there was a huge disservice to eliminating the pen stand competition in the Bash. It too needs to be a continued part of these events. If you want to lose or alternate during the summer I have no problem. I say this with sincere conviction because I believe there needs to be another outlet to show off the talent on this site besides spinning a pen.

With that said all there is left to do is hand over the crown to SteveG where he has proven he is truely a master pen box builder year after year. Love the competition and I hope to return next year and I sure hope to see many more entries and that these works of art that you see here are insentives for all others to join in the fun. Yes there is work involved and time but you have a year to start. Thanks again to all involved it has been fun. Thanks everyone that voted for me and hope you liked it. All your's Steve.

Attachments

• crown_emoji_postcard-re10a1108f9484012b4ce0d30033aaaea_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg
    crown_emoji_postcard-re10a1108f9484012b4ce0d30033aaaea_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 180

SteveG

Guys...thanks to all for the votes. You may (or not) find it surprising that the greatest enjoyment in this competition is the process of designing and making the box, and being able to share the result here on the forum! Winning the 'Gold' is simply a bonus. Mike, you did fine work as coordinator. Do you get a prize too?

IAP is a magnificent forum, and it is great being a member. Here is my 'tip of the hat' to the both management team and the membership.

Great work All! :good: :good:

Top Bottom