Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Pen 6

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Pen 7

Votes: 41 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveJ

Please note, I did adjust the rules to allow a ball point kitless pen!

One vote per person! Poll will close Friday February 23.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Pen 1

"Everything bar the nib and ink delivery system were hand made by me. This is only the 3rd fountain pen I have ever made, so I'm still learning as I go!
I have used Blackwood, sealed with CA glue, and sanded back to a fine silk finish.

The copper was textured and patina added before sealing with CA Glue to prevent corrosion against the oils from the users hands.
The thickness of the copper and aluminium frame, I have made to build the pen on, varies throughout the pen to achieve a comfortable weight and balance.

The clip was shaped by hand from a piece of flat stock and riveted to the cap once finished.

Nib is a Kaweco medium for those interested."

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 726
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,230
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 709

SteveJ

Pen 2

Here is my entry for the contest.
It is made from a custom Aluminite blank made by Tim Mckensie. It is made with 3 colors along with diamond dust for extra sparkle!
I used 14 x 1.5 tap/die for the cap to body junction to allow extra size and flexibility on the section design, for added comfort.
Also used 10 x 1.0 for section, and 8 x .75 for the nib housing. It is a jowo #6 medium nib.
This material is really spectacular, of course pictures don't do it justice

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 732
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 706
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 728

SteveJ

Pen 3

Night Jewels acrylic blank
#6 JoWo EF Black Oxide nib
Black Titanium clip from a Rinehart pen
Monteverde Converter

Everything except the nib came from exoticblanks.com. The nib was from meisternib.com.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 007.png
    007.png
    929.4 KB · Views: 721
  • 008.png
    008.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 726

SteveJ

Pen 4

A Novel Kitless Ballpoint Pen Design

Nothing twisted about this one ... 5 straight bars of wood and 4 straight grooves, then glue and turning.
The center bar is hard maple and the others are Thuya Burl. All parts were made by me except the spring,
refill, and the internal click mechanism. All hardware is brass, shaped on my metal lathe and mill.
The pushbutton top is oversized and milled "square" so that it acts as a roll stop. No clip as this is
intended to be a desktop pen. The red ends on the barrel are dyed and stabilized maple burl. CA finish.

The large pushbutton is machined with conical top and bottom surfaces; squared edges appear "elliptical".

One picture shows the refill retracted; one picture extended; both pics show pushbutton in normal position.
The third picture shows the pushbutton held in the pushed down position; refill is extended beyond normal.
In the down position, the button lower cone fits in a concave depression machined in the pen's top finial.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 701
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 720
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,134

SteveJ

Pen 5

Custom Fountain Pen - Bock #5 Fine Nib, Beaufort Ink converter, Blank made custom for this pen by mckenziedrums (Tim McKenzie - "Diamond Cast" blank, black and clear with diamond dust), sterling silver ball rollstop

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 719
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 705
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 696

SteveJ

Pen 6

Here is my kitless pen entry for the 2018 Bash. This pen represents several firsts for me and a lot of "design oppurtunities….". This is my first ink window, piston assembly and clear section/end caps. The white and blue bodies are made from Omas material. The ink window, section and end caps are made from an Italian resin that reminded me of cracked ice. The piston filler assembly is from Richard Greenwald and the clip is from a kit pen. The nib is a #6 Jowo that writes quite nicely! It's filled with Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo ink. The cap to body threads are 14m triple start.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 699
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 680
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 713

SteveJ

Pen 7

Pen is made from a mokume gane fusing combinations of the three metals: brass, copper and nickel silver into a 12 inch long and 3/4 inch round billet. Machined on own, finished and patinated to bring out all three metals. Finished the metal surface with feldspar to shear off metal and thus prevent a smearing and overlapping of the metals. A patina finish is applied to bring out and contrast the color of each of the three different metal components. Caswell Metal Lacquer applied and dried.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 721
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 673
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,272

jttheclockman

There are some truely beautiful pens in this one. I wish pens like this can be shown throughout the year because it does give inspiration to others. This is what pen turning is all about. These are the goals to strive for. A+ to all. Some manhours went into these. Well done. I see future front page pens from here.

magpens

There is something about making a pen for a contest entry that really gets the creative juices flowing. . That fact is quite apparent here.

There are some truely beautiful pens in this one. I wish pens like this can be shown throughout the year because it does give inspiration to others. This is what pen turning is all about. These are the goals to strive for. A+ to all. Some manhours went into these. Well done. I see future front page pens from here.

jttheclockman

There is something about making a pen for a contest entry that really gets the creative juices flowing. . That fact is quite apparent here.

Well Mal I have been here a long time and can say pens like this are made all the time but are not shown here all the time for reasons. A contest should not be the only reason to put out some over the top pens.

magpens

OK, John, I'll bite ......what are the reasons ?

Well Mal I have been here a long time and can say pens like this are made all the time but are not shown here all the time for reasons. A contest should not be the only reason to put out some over the top pens.

jttheclockman

OK, John, I'll bite ......what are the reasons ?

Oh please Mal this is not the time or place. Let this thread be about these beautiful works of art. These people deserve this recognition.

I will tell you this do a search and you will find that topic has been discussed and some of the big names gave reasons. One is very obvious and applys to others showing their pens in other forums.

Top Bottom