Puzzle Contest #6

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #6 is now open.

This is another Wood Identification Contest - probably the last one, I'm working on some other types of contests for next week.

Here are 6 pen blanks from the Holy Land that I've collected over the past few years. The 6 types of wood are listed below. Your task is to put these woods in order by blank number.

1. Send your list of the woods to iap.puzzles@gmail.com. Be sure to put Puzzle #6 in the Subject line of your message so I can keep track of which contest your entry is for
3. You will earn two points if you get all 6 correct or one point if you get at least 3 correct.
4. Everyone who gets at least 3 correct will be entered into the random draw for this individual puzzle.
5. This puzzle will close at noot CST on Monday, Feb 19.

For now, only only one entry per person will be accepted. I'll see how things go and may allow a second entry so be sure to monitor this thread just in case.

Be sure to include your real name and user name in your message.

Banter is encouraged, but please do not post any real hints. Everyone needs to figure out the puzzles on their own.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.
Edgar

Here are the 6 types of wood (in alphabetical order):

Almond
Bethlehem Olive Wood
Carob
Lebanese Cedar
Nazareth Olive Wood
Shittim

Attachments

• Puzzle 6 Blanks.jpg
    Puzzle 6 Blanks.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #6 Rule Update

After reviewing the entries received so far, I have decided that everyone will only be allowed one entry for this puzzle.

However, I am making a slight scoring change. Everyone who submits at least 3 correct answers will earn one point. You still need to get all 6 correct to earn 2 points.

So far, at least one person has gotten all 6 correct.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle Contest #6 is Closed

Puzzle #6 is now closed. No further entries will be accepted.

I will announce the answers later today.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #6 Answers

The correct answers for Puzzle #6 are shown in the attached photo.

We had 18 entries for this puzzle and 12 people got at least 3 answers correct. One person got all 6 answers correct and earned 2 points - congratulations coulcd.

Everyone who got at least 3 answers correct will be entered into the random draw for this puzzle.

I'll concede that there is not much difference between Bethlehem and Nazareth Olive Wood. The two cities are only 60 miles apart and the same type of olive trees grow at both places. However, there are geographic differences between the two areas that influence the appearance of the wood in those trees. Nazareth is located at an elevation of 1140' in a bowl that is surrounded by limestone mountains. Bethlehem is located at an elevation of 2540' and is surrounded by fertile valleys. Their overall climates are similar, but Bethlehem has a larger average annual rainfall.

You almost have to place several samples of olive wood from the two areas side by side to be able to tell the subtle differences between the two. I tried to select a couple of pieces for this puzzle that were indicative of those differences. 14 of the entries correctly identified the BOW and 6 correctly identified the NOW.

Interestingly, of the 12 who did not correctly identify the NOW, 5 called it Almond, 4 Carob and 3 Shittim. All 4 of those who missed the BOW, called it NOW instead - but none of those 4 thought that the NOW might be BOW.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Attachments

• Puzzle 6 Answers.jpg
    Puzzle 6 Answers.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 147

greenacres2

Yeah, I think I scored this time too. Man, I had NOW labeled correctly for most of the time I worked on this--then changed it at the last minute. Point or not, i'm happy that I figured carob out!!
earl

Top Bottom